<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return  

Now he's Doc Obvious

January 27 2018 at 3:47 PM
No score for this post

psychostats  (Login psychostats)
Approved MikeBrownSucks.com Members
from IP address 70.92.18.131

Too funny not to capture somewhere. This is the article that flowed from Doc's earlier-in-the-day blog post.

Paul Daugherty: Sorry Bengals fans, Mike Brown isn't changing
Paul Daugherty - Cincinnati Enquirer - 5:41 p.m. ET Jan. 22, 2018

Mike Brown shouldn’t talk publicly anymore to people like me. His handlers in the Bengals PR department should consider insisting on that. I say this in all sincerity and, believe it or not, with a certain affection for the team’s president. He isn’t helping himself.

Mike Brown is pleasant, caring and principled. He’s a terrific conversationalist. He knows a lot about a lot. If I weren’t in this job, I’d like to think we’d be friends.

And here comes the biggest However in the history of Howevers:

In print, Brown comes off as an arrogant dictator who cares nothing about his fans except that their checks cash.

This isn’t a new thought, and that’s the problem. The diligent interview conducted last Friday by the Enquirer’s Jim Owczarski hit all the relevant topics. It was needed, given Brown chose not to appear at the press conference with Marvin Lewis, on the day the team rehired the coach.

It was also like talking to a brick, the difference being a brick cracks on occasion. Doing a state-of-the-state Q&A with Brown is like participating in a time-travel experience. It could be last Friday, or 10 years ago, or 20, or 1991. Do we need to get better? Yes, we do. After three decades, it’s starting to make my brain hurt.

Mike Brown will never understand fans. He will never see them as anything but butts in seats. He will never understand that passion can come with an expiration date, and that date in Cincinnati is here. To Brown, you are cash flow.

Is that harsh? Is it? How can it be, when you, loyal fan, have been saying the same thing for 30 years?

People still say what a “great businessman’’ Brown is. Really? You mean the guy who never marketed his team in Columbus and points north when Cleveland didn’t have the NFL? Whose idea of maximizing profit is raising ticket prices after losing seasons?

What if Procter & Gamble were like the Bengals, from its beginnings? We make soap. We like our soap. We like how we make our soap. We are, in fact, the only soapmaker in town. Why should we change anything? Why should we add different products? Just to make our customers happy?

Said Brown last Friday, “I have to just do what I think puts our team in the best position to win. Even if it is a short-term issue with our fans."

A short-term issue? A short-term issue?!? Oh, boy. Brown believes that all it will take to pack his publicly funded, $330 million-at-least playpen is a rousing 9-7 or 10-6. “They’re going to come when we win," said Brown.

No, they’re not. Unless winning somehow is redefined at PBS, as something grander than complete playoff failure.

Meantime, doesn’t that make you feel special, BengalsFan? They win, you return. I was taken for granted less by my kids when they were in high school, asking for money every weekend. Brown doesn’t work to earn your trust. He abuses it.

And then he said this:

“It is not anything more than banter, to use some of the formulae that you hear mouthed by different people. Part of our job, I guess, is just to sit back and listen and then go about our business, which is one step at a time."

Oh, the arrogance.

The Bengals have never professed even the slightest awareness or acknowledgement of your loyalty.

“In some ways, ours is a hard market," Brown said. “Our people are judgmental about us. They are often easy to condemn when it doesn’t go to their standards."

Their standards? What about your standards? Someone please hand Brown a towel in which to weep. Have the taxpayers pay for it. When Brown says these things month-after-year-after-decade, you can’t help but wonder if he really is that oblivious.

“I don’t think we’re far off. I think we can make the changes that we need to make and quickly rebound to the level where we were a couple years ago."

The level where you were? Losing your first game in the playoffs? That level?

“We have to do better in certain areas. We’re going to try to."

There is no try, Yoda. There is only do.

“We’re coming off a run of playoff years and (fans) began to see that as the bare minimum. Well, maybe for them it is. For most people in this league, it’s a pretty solid achievement."

That sentence is all you need to hear. Solid achievement equals no playoff wins in 27 years. Fans should shut up and be happy with that. Be like “most people in the league." After all, Brown kept the team here. Stop griping and start genuflecting.

“A lot of this talk, to me, is sort of a dance," he said.

Couldn’t agree more, Mr. Brown. Thirty years of the same dance. Our knees hurt.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2018/01/22/paul-daugherty-sorry-bengals-fans-mike-brown-isnt-changing/1055849001/

You say Mike Brown, aka King Kong Continuity, ain't changing? Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Sometimes I wonder if it's the fans who are most in need of that message.

Mike Brown won't change. In other non-informative, non-insightful, non-news, the Super Bowl will be played on a Sunday. Other than that stupid title, it's a good column.

This message has been edited by psychostats from IP address 70.92.18.131 on Jan 27, 2018 3:55 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

psychostats
(Login psychostats)

Re: Now he's Doc Obvious

No score for this post
January 27 2018, 5:30 PM 

A blast from the past, April of 2015. Emphasis added by me.

Doc: Bengals' stability should inspire half-full thinking
Paul Daugherty - Cincinnati Enquirer - 7:02 p.m. ET April 22, 2015

The Bengals re-upped Marvin Lewis Wednesday, adding a year to a deal that was to expire at the end of the upcoming season. Are you shaking your head in disdain, or nodding it in approval?

You can look at it two ways, and two ways only: Either you see the latest extension as a fine example of what ails the comfortable and complacent situation within the offices at 1 Paul Brown Stadium, a state of secure inertia that has yielded utter postseason failure.

Or you see the benefits that continuity and stability have produced.

Not that it matters. Mike Brown is Mike Brown. He is the NFL's tortoise, a tag he accepts. "I'm old enough to be a tortoise," Brown said Wednesday afternoon.

Half-full types might suggest that – given the Bengals regular-season record (40-23-1 in the AFC North since 2011 best in a very good division) – times are good. Given that success, and the man who determined it, you'd think that maybe wingtips and seersucker will return as fashion statements along with sensible, American-made, mid-sized sedans of the sort Brown prefers to drive.

Half-empties will say "So what? The only numbers that matter are zero and six, Lewis' playoff record."

I used to be half-empty.

To those of us with memories that pre-date the Marv Era, the contract extension is, as Lewis would put it, a good thing. Unless, you consider a grocery bag to be the height of headwear fashion. If you're good, as the Bengals have been lately, there is much to be said for stability and continuity.

Consider the franchises that lack it. The Washington Redskins, say. They move and shake. They make offseason noise, often. They stink.

Owner Daniel Snyder has thrown tall cash piles at empty free agents and fired coaches like they were suits purchased off the rack at Stein Mart. Snyder craves attention and acceptance. He is who Paul Brown would call "a plunger": a rich guy who comes into the league with more ambition than brains.

You want the Bengals to be the Redskins?

Hail, no.

Stability upstairs has allowed the Bengals to draft well. Everyone upstairs knows the drill. From assistants to scouts to The BrownTrust, everyone knows what is expected, philosophically and personnel-wise. It might not be a Super Bowl machine, but it is well oiled.

For several years, the Bengals have entered the draft not needing to reach. Reaching is bad. It leads to mistakes. The Men haven't made many mistakes lately.

The Bengals have no philosophical canyon between coaches and ownership. As Brown put it, "Marvin and I function well together. It's something we've learned over the years. We've built a confidence" in one another.

The lack of dysfunction has helped the Bengals win. Not as much as is expected now, obviously, but five winning seasons in the last six, a division title and four consecutive playoff appearances.

I'm not accepting mediocrity. I'm not the new houseman/sellout. The Enquirer still pays me.

With a very good quarterback, the Bengals could have done better. Even without a very good QB, they should have done better. Losing at home to San Diego two years ago was unacceptable. But since '11, they've won more regular-season games than anyone in the AFC, save New England and Denver. Every team wants to be New England.

I get frustrated with Mom And Pop, too, even if that is a slightly outdated perception. I get jammed with Brown's obstinance. I believe the Brown family crest is the head of a pig.

But, you know, players want to play here now. Good players. That's because they see the wins and the stability, and because they're aware of the loyalty ownership shows them.

Ain't that right, Devon Still?

No one on the current roster, save Domata Peko and Andrew Whitworth, remembers the charity and kindness Brown showed, after Chris Henry died. But word gets around. Ask Michael Johnson.

When Brown says, "The team is performing well," as he did Wednesday, some of you want to lie down in a cool place. But the truth is, the team has performed well. Let me take you back to 1995 if you don't believe it. Or even to 2010.

The team has performed well to such an extent that other owners, former big ego-spenders, are reconsidering their need to constantly mess with things. That includes Snyder, who hasn't canned a coach in at least 10 minutes. Jerry Jones – is there a bigger Big Swinger than Jerry Jones? – has hung with Jason Garrett for six years and three consecutive 8-8 seasons, until last year's 12-4.

Bengals' division games come late in season

"Continuity tends to produce stability," Brown said. "Not always. But it's a helpful factor."

I asked Brown what he'd say to those who are unhappy with how he runs things. He offered the sort of answer that was typically, steadfastly – and to some, infuriatingly – him.

"It's an argument. I understand it. I don't accept it (or) operate in accordance with it. I'm not saying (a different approach) wouldn't work. It very well could. But not here."

There you have it. Complain all you like. You might as well bang your head off a goalpost. Mike's not going anywhere. Neither, for now, is Marvin. In a league dead-set on producing the more perfect 8-8, is 10-6 so bad?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2015/04/22/daugherty-marvin-lewis/26207255/

Stability and continuity. Continuity and stability. Now please tell me why Doc had to be reminded a few weeks ago that Mike Brown prizes...of all things... continuity, stability, and continuity. And don't forget about continuity.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.

Synonymous Bengal
(Login LoyaltyClause)

No score for this post
January 27 2018, 7:17 PM 

Doc slipping into dementia? Forgotten the last 27 years?

Lumina
(Login 72360)

Propaganda Minister Hobson

No score for this post
January 29 2018, 7:03 PM 

I would love to read Goof Hobspins reply,retort,or rewrite of this article.Priceless,would be his greatest work ever!

WhenPBSFreezesOver
(Login WhenPBSFreezesOver)

I wanna give Doc some credit

No score for this post
February 7 2018, 5:08 PM 

"A short-term issue? A short-term issue?!? Oh, boy. Brown believes that all it will take to pack his publicly funded, $330 million-at-least playpen is a rousing 9-7 or 10-6. “They’re going to come when we win," said Brown.

No, they’re not. Unless winning somehow is redefined at PBS, as something grander than complete playoff failure.

Meantime, doesn’t that make you feel special, BengalsFan? They win, you return. I was taken for granted less by my kids when they were in high school, asking for money every weekend. Brown doesn’t work to earn your trust. He abuses it."
ENDQUOTE

I think that's pretty good writing for a sports journalist. Most of 'em just write the same old blah blah about continuity or whatnot, while they privately think the Bengals are a joke and that it's nutty to keep Marvin Lewis and keep doing things the same way.

Mike Brown has already abused their hearts and raided their wallets. He has been a one-man plague of locusts -- Gregg Doyel

Sam Wyche
(Login wyche)

No score for this post
February 8 2018, 5:14 AM 

Ditto to the above point. Even if it was a "captain obvious" type of column, kudos for one for writing it and two I would say that everything written in it is fair. It does not demonize Mike the man (which we do too often on here...considering that almost all of us voted for one or the other vile (Trump) or evil (Hillary) just 14 months ago MB for instance seems like a descent human being just a miser of a sports owner who to be fair is cheap in his own life as well).

But yes the points and analogies were/are all fair regarding his business practices, his view of goals and achievements, and his take on the fans. Again, I think that in his heart he wants to win for him, for the fans, and for his family and his father's legacy, but he cannot stomach a better way of going about it and is happy going 9-7 compared to the alternative that we are also all used to.

Baal
(Login oldschoolerfan)

All hail Mikey

No score for this post
February 9 2018, 7:28 PM 

"...MB for instance seems like a descent human being just a miser of a sports owner who to be fair is cheap in his own life as well)."

So, are you trying to say that Mikehole isn't a demon from hell? D@mn...I guess it's time for Murf to go worship a new deity.

Awwww...just kidding Murf. Happy Birthday. Hope your wife got you that new double foam finger. LOL

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return