Return to Index  

Beach geography question

January 3 2003 at 1:15 PM
No score for this post
Gary In Alameda  (no login)
from IP address 209.77.137.4

Hello All,

Just for general knowledge I'd like to ask you beach Geologists about two beaches I happened to view in the last 2 weeks.
I know that the ideal is for the sand to go away and all heavy objects sit on the bedrock waiting for us modern day 49rs to scoop them up. But what about "scallops" etc.
Last Sunday went for a walk on Pismo Beach south of town. Big blow the night before and up at the high tide line there were nice pressure ridges topped by black sand as well as distinct areas where heavy objects, large rocks, large shell fragments, metal etc had been left concentrated on the top of the sand. Would this be an area where coins and similiar objects would also be concentrated? Or were these heavy items not deposited here but just had the sand washed away from around and over them leaving them sitting high as the tide went out.
Wednesday I was over at Pacifica Pier with the kids and as the tide dropped we walked the beach a bit, here the beach was very steep but there were very pronounced high and low spots(scallops?). Is the lowest point in these scallops the area to hunt?
I don't know if I'll get a chance anytime soon to hit a beach with my detector but I'm one of those geeky people interested in everything having to do with history, science etc. and I'm always very curious about geologic stuff. My parents were rockhounds.
Thanks for any enlightenment.

Gary

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Metal DetectingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Lost Treasure On L
ine Banner
Join the Lost Treasu re Banner Program