Return to Index  

Thanks for the intoduction

January 4 2003 at 11:39 AM
No score for this post
Gary in Alameda  (no login)
from IP address 204.30.192.145

Response to what about the smell

into the mysteries of beach stratas and erosion.
As for smells, my sniffer is in good working order. Living a block from the beach here in alameda I always know when the tides out on a hot day, or when the East Bay Regional Parks crew has bulldozed and scuplted the beach at our end near southshore. They always leave nice big piles of weed rotting on the beach. Of course working in the garbage, haz waste busines for 13 years this week has left me with many memorable smells, creosote, banana oil, diesel oil/hydraulic, every pesticide ever sold to the public, musty basement debris full of turn of the century books, mags, papers and mummified cats and rats, and the most unforgettable of all, the smell of mattresses where someone has died and not been found for a week or two. We used to refer to them as The Shroud of the Tenderloin due to the similarity to the Shroud of Turin shadow on the fabric. Enough macabre humor.
I can see it will be a few years into retirement before I can even scratch the surface when it comes to reading a beach, so no one has to worry about me getting the goodies for another 20 years of so.

Fo now I'll stick to parking strips, parks and any yards I can squeeze into the few hours a year I have to hunt.

HH
Gary

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Metal DetectingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Lost Treasure On L
ine Banner
Join the Lost Treasu re Banner Program