Welcome to the Rock Slides message boards, part of the Rox Reference Fans Network(www.expage.com/roxreference)

Sad But True

May 13 2001 at 11:21 AM
No score for this post
  (Login TheIncredibleRox)
Forum Owner

Response to Kieschnick and Manto

It could very well end up that Mr. Kieshnick has a similar career to one of my favorite all time players, Mr. Jeff Manto.

I guess I just have a soft spot for underdogs. Underdogs who bust their butts, perform when called on, but still get overlooked for possibly no reason other than that they are underdogs.

Manto was an all-time Crash Davis. He tore up the minor leagues, mostly in Buffalo, and stuck it out until age 36. He spent parts of 9 years in the majors, hitting 31 homers in 713 at-bats. But that doesn't tell you the whole picture.

The ONLY time he ever got more than 130 at-bats in a season was with Baltimore in 1995. He had 254 that year. Thats less than half a season. But during those at-bats, he hit 17 homers, walked an acceptable amount of time, hit .256, and slugged in the .490's despite a low BA. Thats nothing that would put him in the heart of an order, but its more than Ron Coomer's and Jeff Conine's give you in a full year. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

The Rox Reference Fans Network(http://www.expage.com/roxreference)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on BaseballCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
INSIGHT MESSAGE CENTER date