Welcome to the Rock Slides message boards, part of the Rox Reference Fans Network(www.expage.com/roxreference)

A Good Question

June 3 2001 at 5:41 AM
No score for this post
TheIncredibleRox  (Login TheIncredibleRox)
Forum Owner

Response to Julio De Paula

I wondered also. De Paulo never made any Rockies top prospects list........ not TeamOneBaseball's Top-20, not Baseball America's Top-10, not Top Prospect Alert's Top-12.

But he always had the results and was young enough to justify an appearance of talent-- he wasn't a 26-year-old beating up on teenagers in the SAL.

I couldn't find a scouting report anywhere on the net, but talked to a friend who has seen De Paulo several times. He throws low to mid 90's with (at this point) relatively non-existent secondary pitches.

But he is just 21 (or maybe 22 now?), and at that age he still has years to learn a changeup, or a slider, or a curveball.

Dingman an average middle releiver? I would agree, but there is no such thing. The only thing that separates Craig Dingman or Joe Davenport from a guy like Ricky Bottalico is that one of them had the oppurtunity to save games a few years ago and didn't completely explode. Dingman throws 92-94 from a low arm angle and can be effective. Effective enough to trade Julio De Paulo? Not even close.

But that's more an indication of the available talent of borderline middle relievers than of De Paulo's likelihood of becoming a solind Major Leaguer.

The Rox Reference Fans Network(http://www.expage.com/roxreference)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on BaseballCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
INSIGHT MESSAGE CENTER date