August 6 2012 at 4:06 PM
No score for this post
greg  (Login javajimi)
Owner

Quest to find yowie in Coast's Hinterland
Andrew Potts 12:01am July 28, 2012

Quest to find yowie in Coast's Hinterland
Andrew Potts 12:01am July 28, 2012

AUSTRALIA'S leading yowie hunter is preparing to lead a team of 12 people in to the Gold Coast Hinterland in a bid to prove the legend exists.

Over the years, yowie hunters and tourists have come to the Hinterland in search of the beast, but veteran hunter Rex Gilroy is determined he will succeed. The first reported sighting at Springbrook was made in 1886 by local indigenous tribes.

More famous than that, though, was a sighting in 1979 when Bill O'Chee, later a Nationals senator, spotted what he said was a yowie while on camp with 20 fellow students from The Southport School.

Mr Gilroy, the Australian Yowie Research Centre director, will begin his search next month. "I have a few plaster casts of large footprints from the Hinterland, which interestingly enough match similar prints found near Coffs Harbour," he said.

"It is exciting stuff; most recently I was told of a five-foot-tall (1.5m) female-like creature with pendulous breasts scavenging for what was probably fern roots near Springbrook, which is a promising lead.

"I am 68 years old, and after hunting them for 55 years I refuse to sit down and retire." The Brisbane Valley town of Kilcoy also claims to be the home of the yowie, with a statue erected in its honour. Long-time Springbrook residents did not want to speak on the record about their sightings and beliefs, but one woman who has lived on the mountain for 23 years said locals took the legends seriously.

"Of course locals believe, we have seen the footprints and heard the stories," she said. "It is just too much to think that there have been so many sightings by so many people." Springbrook Observatory astronomer Andre Clayden said many businesses had capitalised on the myth.

"We used to run a 'Yowie Cafe' with yowie burgers and memorabilia, and now the Advancetown Tavern uses the same theme," he said. "We still have a fossil of a yowie footprint and it attracts many tourists."

Mr Clayden said there had been endless groups of researchers and hunters scour the Hinterland in the past 20 years.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement