Royal Enfield Motorcycles Photographs

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to the index page  

Is it reliable???

January 10 2005 at 7:05 PM
sak 

hello everybody!
I fall in love with the RE the first time i saw it...and i m willing to buy one ( a 500deluxe).However I m still hasitating cause everybody tells me that this is not a reliable motorcycle, and I must have at least basic knowledge in maintaining such a bike.Furthermore i hear that i cant rely on a "replica" bike that is made in India,and when i ll bye it my love for it will fly away, and i ll realise that i just waisted my money.Please my friends tell me what u think????

Thank you!!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
harry

reliable

January 11 2005, 12:45 AM 

Your asking this question on a bulletin board dedicated to the Enfield. How reliable will the answers be?
But I have to put something straight: the Enfield is not a replica but the longest produced bike model on the world. This model was more or less the same when the first model came to India in 1954. It was realy fabricated in India from 1956 on and it went on after the British Enfield factory closed up. So 50 years of production can't be called a replica. Those who say so are the most unreliable. In the late 1990's the Inda Enfield factory was taken over by the Eicher group, a large concern making tractors, trucks etc. The motorcycle factories were modernised and a better product and a better end-control realised an adequate motorcycle. BUT it is an antique design - not comparible with a modern Jap bike. It is should be ridden as a classic motorcycle. Crousing speed ca. 50-55 mph. Top speed around 65 mph. But very relaxing to ride country roads, good British cornering.
So these are my unreliable words.

Anand

Yes it is reliable

July 24 2005, 10:27 AM 

Hi
The enfield is a reliable lil machine,the latest ones have electric starters and a new 5 speed gearbox with gears on the left.you would do well if you bought a 500cc with the 5speed box and also maybe the leanburn engine.Just follow your owners manual to maintain it and also you can e mail anytime.
regards
anand

Avi Nachshoni

Royal Enfield Reliability

September 19 2005, 9:36 PM 

First of all, the current Enfield Bullet 500 bikes are not "replicas"... the factory in India has been producing Bullets since 1955 and they make exactly the same motorcycle as was produced in 1955. In fact, vintage motorcycle racing associations consider the brand new Bullet 500 to be a vintage (antique) motorcycle. The Bullet 500 is the real thing.

As far as reliability is concerned, these are vintage bikes, they are not made like the current Japanese "pocket rockets" thank God! Modern Japanese marvels are designed to be user friendly and pretty much maintenance free (no tinkering on them), but they are not made to be maintained by their owners either.

The reliability is the same as that of a 1953 Harley Davidson ST-165 or a 1958 Harley Davidson Duo-Glide. Given the fact that they are vintage bikes, they will behave as such. Royal Enfields are made to be worked on. If you want a bike that you don't tinker with, then buy a Suzuki (but you won't have the experience of riding a classic). They don't have disc brakes, the tyres require inner tubes, they tend to leak oil and the styling is completely British and very classic. Be aware however that there are many performance parts available that will make your Bullet very reliable, more poweful and more "bulletproof".

I was in Africa saw many Royal Enfields that had years in the bush, in the desert, and was still going strong. They are very sturdy, well handling motorcycles. If they weren't reliable, you would find them from the Sahara to Mozambique.

Avi

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to the index page  
Find more forums on MotorcyclesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Enjoy the ride!!