Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

What's wrong with matt varnishes?

February 5 2005 at 1:24 PM
  (Login aracna50)
from IP address 62.253.64.14

Response to Re: washes

I normally don't worry too much about whether my models are matt or gloss during painting until the end, when I will use a couple of thin coats of varnish to make the model matt or semi- matt as appropriate.

In fact I normally use a coat of gloss varnish during the painting process to make the decals stick well and I have heard some modellers prefer to put washes on a gloss surface to reduce the effect of the wash which can be too intense on a matt surface.

Almost all paint manufacturers make matt or semi-matt varnishes. Just make sure that you shake/mix any matt varnish really well, or it will not produce a true matt effect. Also thin the varnish - two or three coats with a couple of minutes in between spraying is much better than a single coat and will produce a better matt effect.

One effect that I have tried with some success is to spray the running gear of tanks matt varnish but the upper hull hull with a slight sheen. Try mixing a matt and semi-gloss varnish to get this 'eggshell' finish.

I would agree with the comment about avoiding black washes. I sometimes use a localised black wash on engine grills, but othewish would stick to browns.

Another trick I use when trying techniques for the first time is to make up a 'guinea pig' model at the same time as my real model. The guinea pig can be made up discarded parts or even bits and pieces from the kitchen. It will receive the same paint job as the real model but if at any stage I want to see the effect of a colour or technique I can try it out on the guniea pig first and if it doesn't work out nothing is lost.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. dullcote - matt rogo on Feb 5, 1:27 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse