Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

Stripping a painted model...For what it's worth....

June 2 2006 at 1:49 PM
Tom Miller  (Login littlewills)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 152.163.100.135

This might have been discussed before, but after my many years visiting this site, I cannot recall someone mentioning this. We've all been there before. You spend endless hours constructing the tank and you finally get around to painting it. Usually in the case of a camo scheme, when your finished, you stand back and say this looks like crap. This is when I say I'll just put it away in never-neverland and maybe strip the paint off and start over one day. My method of stripping has always been oven cleaner. Spray the stuff all over, let it sit, then wash it off under the kitchen sink, trying every possible precaution to catch the PE that comes off also. This results in basically starting all over re-attaching the PE. Well today, I found a method by chance that pleased me to no end. Instead of spraying the oven cleaner directly onto the model, I sprayed the cleaner into a container and dabbed it on all over with an old paintbrush in hopes it would not loosen the PE. Instead of using the kitchen sink and watching some parts go down the drain, I placed it in an old aluminum baking pan and planned on spraying the cleaner off with a Windex bottle filled with water. Then the idea hit me, I'll use my airbrush filled with water instead. Not only did it remove the oven cleaner, it also peeled back the paint and removed it like a high pressure hose would. Did not remove one piece of PE, and this tank was loaded with it. A happy old fart I am, and I'm ready to start the repaint. I know this was a lot to read, but I hope it helps some of you out there.
Best, Tom

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. sound like a great idea... - Niels Henkemans on Jun 2, 2006, 3:18 PM
  3. Ditto the oven cleaner and aluminium barrel's..... - Steve Wedgner on Jun 3, 2006, 5:50 AM
  5. Another great way to strip paint - Eyal Rein on Jun 4, 2006, 1:38 AM
  7. Brake Fluid - Bill Klingbeil on Jul 18, 2006, 10:09 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse