Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

A different opinion of the Touch 'N Flow

October 18 2006 at 12:32 PM
  (Login danhay)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 209.82.97.10

Response to a silly question about Touch'n Flow applicator

I picked up a Touch 'N Flow a short while ago and I am already very addicted to it! I find the device allows one to very precisely apply very small amounts of solvent type glue to plastic or styrene parts. I find this particularly useful when attaching small parts or bits made from thin sheet styrene as a brush applicator always applies just a little too much cement for such delicate operations.

They key to using it is to only partially fill it; the liquid glue/solvent should be maybe 2-3 cm from the base of the glass tube. Once it has been filled, just lay it down on your work bench. If stored vertical it will leak glue all over your bench (not good).

When you need to apply some glue, pick up the device and tip it at an angle somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees; practice and experience will enable one to find the 'optimal' angle. Shortly after tipping the device, one will see a small bead of liquid glue/solvent form on the end of the metal tip. This can then be applied as desired to the plastic bits being joined. When I use it, I don't usually let a drop form first before I apply the glue to the plastic. I prefer to gently touch the metal tip to the part (ie. the join between two pieces) and let the glue flow into the join until I am satisfied enough cement has been deposited for a good strong join. To stop the flow of glue, simply remove the applicator tip from the plastic and put the device back down onto your bench. While lying horizontal on your bench the device will not leak glue (surface tension in liquids is a beautiful thing). I believe that in this way one is able to precisely apply liquid solvent/glue without flooding the part and/or the surounding area with excess cememt, an action that will often require one to later sand away glue marks.

I only fill the device when I need to use it. If it is left on one's bench filled, the glue will evaporate within a few hours. To avoid wasting glue I generally fill it with small amounts of glue and refill as often as is required. Filling the device is easy; simply stand it in a full bottle of solvent and allow the desired amount of glue to flow into the glass tube. Because the diameter of the metal tip is very small (less than .5 mm) and because of liquid surface tension, the glue doesn't just rush in like a wild flood. I have found that it often takes a minute or so to get 2-3 cm of glue into the device so filling is not a haphazard or error prone operation.

When I have finished a construction session, I always empty any remaining glue back into the appropriate bottle. I find it is also a good idea to periodically drain some laquer thinner through the device to clean out any plastic residue buildup at the very small metal tip (fill it with laquer thinner using the same method as for glue). It is important to use brand spanking new (clean) laquer thinner for this as we wouldn't want to allow paint pigment or other gunge to clog up the very fine metal applicator tip.

I hope this information or opinion helps you.

Cheers - Dan

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. okkkkkk;;;i understand - tommy vicard on Oct 19, 3:00 AM
  3. yes and use new glue! - david nickels on Oct 20, 1:43 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse