Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

wet vs. dry

February 28 2008 at 10:02 AM
  (Login biggs10)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 216.214.110.226

Response to Shermans

Darrin,

One is sitting out in the rain.

No, just kidding. It refers to the way ammunition was stowed inside the tank. The "wet" stowage had the ammo stored in cases that were surrounded by something along the lines of anti-freeze. The idea was, if the ammo bin was penetrated, the anti-freeze would pour over the ammo and prevent fires. It was apparently pretty successful. It was used on:

M4A3 75 late (sometimes called M4A3 75w, the w meaning wet)...the type with the 47 degree angled glacis.

It was also used on all of the 76mm armed Shermans (M4A1 76w, M4A2 76w, M4A3 76w).

I believe those were the only variants that had the wet stowage. The later M4A2 w/47 degree glacis still had dry stowage, which was why it was still fitted with the extra applique plates on the outside.

I'm sure if I've omitted something or gotten something wrong, Roy chow or another Shermaholic will chime in......in the future, though, you might want to post such a question in the allied forum. This forum is more for "Tricks and Tips", such as "how do you remove paint, how do you get decals not to 'shine', etc.".

Rob

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Thanks - Darrin Greggans on Feb 28, 1:41 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse