Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

order of paining and weathering

August 14 2008 at 12:00 AM
  (Login Dennis_Braendle)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 84.57.159.68

Response to Filters, washes, oils...order of application

Hello,

I guess most modellers (especially the more experienced ones) have their "own way" of doing the things needed to paint and weather the model. In my opinion, overspraying with buff to blend the colors is pretty much the same as doing some filters with a light buff color, as the effect is pretty much the same (maybe the paint gets somewhat lighter with the overspray). On the other hand, filters are much easiert to control and you can easily un-do any filter by simply adding another filter with the shade of another color until the result is what you want.

This is the order I do my models:

- basic painting + post shading (I highlight the exposed surfaces with a slightly lighter color)
- satin varnish
- applying decals
- matt varnish (to seal the decals; filters seem better to work on matt surfaces)
- filters (mostly 4-5 coats, until the color looks right)
- fading with oils (to add some variety to the painting)
- satin varnish (to seal the filters and to prepare the surface for the washing, although I don't do this always)
- washing
- chipping and running rust effects
- matt varnish (only when satin varnish was applied before)
- dirt, dust and rainmarks, oil stains, etc.

Just my way, guess there are tons of other ways to achieve a nice result!

Best regards,
Dennis

Delete XXX from my email

look at my homepage:
http://modellbau-schwabe.de.tl/Home.htm

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Excellent, thanks Dennis - Mark Jones on Aug 15, 6:01 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse