Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

I have thinned Tamiya acrylic paints for years

December 26 2011 at 1:30 PM
David Nickels  (Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 65.32.61.47

Response to Behavior of Tamiya acrylics thinned with lacquer thinners

With lacquer thinner. Both the hardware store type and also Mr. Color thinner or Tamiya lacquer thinner.

They spray very very smoothly and tend not to plug up the brush much. If build up is an issue use Mr. Color levelling thinner which has a retarder/flow agent built it.

Tamiya acrylics are fairly durable. I use them as a base under Alclad lacquer, which dries instantly. I also spray Testors clear flat lacquer on top of them. You can always experiment if you are using Mr. Color as a top coat. If the paint dries quickly there should not be a problem.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: I have thinned Tamiya acrylic paints for years - Benjamin Wainer on Dec 28, 2011, 2:10 PM
    1. Perhaps... - david nickels on Dec 28, 2011, 5:54 PM
    2. Warning about "Household" Lacquer Thinners - Scott Dimmick on Dec 31, 2011, 10:33 PM
      1. Never had an issue - david nickels on Jan 2, 2012, 11:24 AM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse