Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

Question on Airbrush Depot TC-20T

April 16 2012 at 8:27 PM
  (Login drew.gleason)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 24.34.33.46

Hello, folks. I'm trying to get back into building 1/72 armor, and I thought a nice present to myself to start would be a new compressor to replace my 20+ year-old Badger 80-2.

I picked up an Airbrush Depot TC-20T based on some great comments on Amazon, and on these and other forums, but I'm finding it totally unsatisfactory. The compressor starts reasonably quiet, but gets louder than my worn-out Badger as the pressure builds. It's too loud to comfortably talk over, or to use in my apartment without worrying about the neighbors, even in daytime.
Worse still, the compressor runs more than half the time while I am airbrushing at ~20psi; I thought the tank would let give it substantial downtime. It gets very hot, and its thermal protection shuts the unit down completely after 60-90 minutes of intermittent use. I may be running my brush a bit more than I normally would, because I am practicing technique rather than painting a real model, but I'm a bit shocked that I can overheat the unit so easily.

I'm having trouble reconciling my experience with the glowing reviews I have seen. When I spoke with TCP Global about it, they responded that the unit was for "light use" only, and they quoted the manual chapter-and-verse that the compressor should only run 10 minutes at a time and cool down for 15. I can't believe that many uses are lighter than running a single brush at 20 psi, or that anyone really uses an airbrush in just 10-minute cycles like that.

So, my question is: is this normal, or did I get a bad unit? Thanks for any feedback!

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Airbrush Depot TC-20 troubles - Jim on Sep 26, 9:30 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse