Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

Return to Index  

Re: Thanks... and

May 28 2016 at 11:59 AM
Mike Gardella  (Login mgard)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 144.160.98.96

Response to Thanks... and

Andrew,

For best results, you should let the base clear coat dry 24 hours before using any setting solutions. I only have experience with Micro Set/Micro Sol and Solvaset, so I can only comment on their usage. Generally you would give your model of a gloss clear coat first and let it set up at least overnight. The gloss coat helps prevent silvering of the clear decal film. When applying the decals, first wet the area where you are going to apply the decal with Micro Set. You can gently pat the decal down with a damp paper towel. It is important if you do this that the paper towel is damp or else you risk the decal sticking to the paper towel. You then give the decal a light coat of Micro Sol to help soften the decal so it can snuggle down. At this point, do not touch the decal even if it start to wrinkle up. This is normal. Let the decals set overnight. If you find the decals are having a tough time settling down over a rough surface, you can apply another coat of Micro Sol or a stronger solution such as Solvaset. When the decals have dried. Take a damp paper towel or moistened Qtip and clean off excess decal solvent from the decals. This will prevent discoloring your top coat. Now it's time for another clear coat to seal in the decals. Most people will suggest using a flat coat if you are looking for a matte finish. I find that this sometimes shows the decal edges. I recommend another gloss clear coat first. This will help blend in the decals. If you are going for a flat/satin finish, you can overcoat the gloss with this final coat.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Respond to this message   

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse