Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Has Tamiya changed its putty reciepe?

September 2 2003 at 1:41 AM
  (no login)
from IP address 210.50.41.52

Whats going on is it just me?.The orange capped stuff I used to get was darker in color and thicker.This is the second tube of runny light gray stuff.The reason I ask is that it appears unsuitable for making zimmerit, the other putty was great.Does anyone know if they have changed it ?
thanks
Brad

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

i think they have

September 2 2003, 7:47 AM 

at a recent model show my mate opened up a new tube and made this very same comment , as he put it , it is too runny and has no substance to it , after half an hour of trying to use it he binned in favour of my humbrol , tube cheers ian

Respond to this message   

(no login)

2 Types

September 2 2003, 12:01 PM 

There are actually 2 types of Tamiya putty. The 'basic type' is the light, grey runny stuff. The other tube is the darker color drier stuff. Unfortunately, they are packed in similiar tubing, both with orange caps. You have to look carefully on the tubing and read the minimal English that is on there.

Respond to this message   
Bob Clifton
(no login)

Does it matter?

September 2 2003, 11:26 PM 

I get the feeling that the runny stuff is not designed that way, it is just badly mixed. I've found that if you take a bit out and remix it on a pallette, the end result is fine.
Now, this is not to say that I'm satisfied with this result. On the contrary it really ticks me off. It appears that Tamiya once seems to have this attiutude of "We'll sell this crap and people will still buy it."
I hope for Tamiya's sake that whatever name they sell it under it is NOT the formula that it is designed to be. I recall a simlar situation with a putty years ago called Dr. Microtools. This stuff was the best but all it took was one batch being mixed badly (just like the Tamiya stuff) and sales went way down. However, the Tamiya problem seems to have been the same for quite awhile, hasn't it? Tamiya just keeps selling it though.
Bob Clifton
rcliftonTAKEMEOUT@optonline.net (remove TAKEMEOUT before sending)

Respond to this message   

(no login)

So there is two different types!

September 2 2003, 8:32 PM 

Thanks mate, I knew it had to be so that runny stuff is no good for zimmerit, now to track down the other type.
Thanks
Brad

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Mr Surfacer wannabe?

September 3 2003, 10:18 PM 

Actually, when I think about it, the light runny stuff reminds me of a thicker version of Mr Surfacer. Maybe this is how they are marketing it, in a tube--instead of in a jar.

Respond to this message   
Bob Clifton
(no login)

I think it is just "bad"

September 4 2003, 3:11 PM 

I contacted Rainbow Ten and asked what they thought and if they'd heard of any problems with the runny stuff and according to them it is probably just stting too long in the shop where it was purchased. They seemed to feel that the Tamiya putty (and probably otherf putties as well) do not have as long a shelf life as we would hope.
If this is the case, I think I might shift away from the Tamiya product to something that lasts a bit longer.
All the best
Bob Clifton

Respond to this message   

(no login)

These were new batches not old

September 4 2003, 10:11 PM 

The tubes I got were both from new shipments.When I think about it, it is more like mr surfacer.It is total poo and no good for making zimmerit with the tamiya raking tools.Also there are slight differences in packaging,So are there two types?

Respond to this message   
Bob Clifton
(no login)

Did you try....

September 5 2003, 11:24 AM 

mixing the runny stuff? Like I stated before I found that if I squeezed some out on a piece of plastic and mixed it, I was able to get a very good consistency. I'm not expert on zimmerit but it looks thick enough to stay in place after imprinting with a tool.
All the best
Bob Clifton

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Ill give it a go

September 6 2003, 7:51 AM 

Thanks Bob, it can be mixed thick enough but it doesnt "feel" the same when raking with the tamiya tools, the older one I had seemed different stuff all together thats why i was wondering maybe two types?
Thanks for the help
Brad

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Has Tamiya changed its putty reciepe?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse