Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Modelkasten Track Article

November 13 2003 at 4:16 PM
Brian N. Stanley  (no login)
from IP address 204.251.139.83

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bother anyone about a topic thats been already discussed but I need help. I did a google search and came up empty looking for an article on Modelkasten construction. I remember seeing it with nice pics and directions but can't seem to find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd appreciate a little help. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
James Duncan
(no login)

Hints

November 14 2003, 9:19 AM 

I drill out all of the links 1st. Then, I make a template out of a toothpick for the proper pin length. Make them a little long for ease of handling. I then find a comfortable spot on the couch and proceed to cut all of the pins.

Next, get a soda can and cut the bottom from it. This works well for a cyano resevoir. I then insert the pin all the way to make sure it fits. Pull the pin out approx. 1/3 and place small drop of glue on pin with toothpick. iInsert pin and move on. After all the pins are dried cut to length.

Kepp your drill handy as you may need to drill out the tracks again with both of them together to clean up the alignment of the pin holes. I can assemble a completed set in two night with this method. It is the best I have found.

If you have any questions please e-mail jdun91764@yahoo.com

Have fun and I hope this helps.

P.S. The cut pins are sharp so keep a small piece of wood handy to help push stubborn pins into the tracks-

James

Respond to this message   
James Duncan
(no login)

Oops- I told about Fruil tracks-See text

November 14 2003, 9:25 AM 

With the Model Kasten I cut all loose from the sprue and clean up with needle files/sand paper. I then mix Testors glue in the black funny looking bottle (the thick stuff) with liquid glue (Testors again). This is the only thing I use Tsestors glue for. This concoction stays soft for several hours allowing the tracks to be manipulated.

Take a small resevoir and fill with glue. Dip the track link ( the male end) into the glue. Set into the female end. Keep going. I make each side in 2 pieces-top and bottom. I then assemble on the tank without gluing them together. I use copiuos ammount of masking tape to get proper placement and sag.

Allow to dry and paint after removing tape. This allows the tracks to be weathered seperately from the vehicle. A plus for PZ 3 and 4 so you dont mess up the fantastic job you did on those tiny road wheels.

I then assemble on the vehicle. Make the tracks with 1 extra link as they may shrink slightly while drying.

HTH-

James

Respond to this message   
Brian N. Stanley
(no login)

Thanks James...How about the workable MK's?

November 14 2003, 12:07 PM 

Hi James,

The type of MK track I have are the SK-workable with the little end connectors to glue into place. I remember the article had all these links lined up and these pins glued into place with the sprue still on the connectors. Then when dried the connectors were clipped off. That make sense? Thanks for the info...I kinda figured that the first one was the Fruil tracks.

Brian

Respond to this message   
Brian N. Stanley
(no login)

Found the Article...Thanks Guys.

November 14 2003, 4:15 PM 

N/T

Respond to this message   
Tom Herling
(no login)

Could you...

November 15 2003, 8:16 AM 

...tell us where you found this article?

Thanks.

Tom

Respond to this message   
Brian N. Stanley
(no login)

MK Article

November 17 2003, 1:05 PM 

HI Tom,

I found the article here at ML. Look back to Feb. 10 of this year in the Tricks and Tips DL and its under James Duncan. Really good. Or do the google "Building Modelkasten Tracks" search. Hope it helps.

Brian

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse