Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Removing paint?

August 18 2004 at 11:57 PM
Rob James  (no login)
from IP address 203.22.201.1

I'll spare you the details of exactly how it came into my posession, but suffice it to say i've been given a kit that a young relative has had a go at and lost interest in.

Some of the parts have already been painted, but badly. It basically looks like the part has either been dipped in the paint, or had it poured on exceedingly thickly, and has obscured many of the small details. I know he used Tamiya acrylic paint, and am after some tips on how to remove it without destroying the detail on the part.

Any suggestions?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jeff Andrews
(no login)

What I Use!

August 19 2004, 9:40 AM 

Scale Coat II Wash Away
http://www.internettrains.com/scwapare16oz.html
It will remove Tamiya Acrylic paint no problem
and will not harm the plastic.

I have used it many times and it's really good.

Another one that I've read good reviews on but have not tried
is Polly S ELO "Easy Lift Off".
http://www.ehobbies.com/1001-9421.html

If you got the cash I suggest you get both.
IMHO paint remover is a must have item.

Respond to this message   
Nick Cortese
(Login nicocortese)
MODERATORS ONLY - Constructive comments

Windex...

August 19 2004, 9:40 AM 

Hi Rob,
If it is Tamiya acrylic,Windex window cleaner works wonders!!
Just spray it on or dunk the model in a plastic container with windex!!
..........the paint should come off easily!!
Nick

Respond to this message   
Jeff Andrews
(no login)

Windex?

August 19 2004, 9:56 AM 

Really?
I'll have to try that out.
Thank you!
I did one time try and remover some Model Master Acryl
with Windex and it didn't work.

Respond to this message   
Nicola Cortese
(Login nicocortese)
MODERATORS ONLY - Constructive comments

Re: Windex...

August 19 2004, 11:09 AM 

Hi Jeff,
no problem!!
no it won't work with model master....it works with Tamiya and Gunze..
oh yeah, it works really well.....and cheap, too!!
let me know how it works out...
Nick

Respond to this message   
stuart dalgarno
(no login)

Re: Removing paint?

August 20 2004, 10:24 AM 

Aerosol oven cleaner seems to work very well with Tamiya paints and is almost instantanious. I give the model a good wash with soapy water afterwards. It's also cheap and easy to get hold of...

Respond to this message   
stuart dalgarno
(no login)

August 20 2004, 10:25 AM 

Aerosol oven cleaner seems to work very well with Tamiya paints and is almost instantaneous. I give the model a good wash with soapy water afterwards. It's also cheap and easy to get hold of...

Respond to this message   
stuart dalgarno
(no login)

August 20 2004, 10:26 AM 

Aerosol oven cleaner seems to work very well with Tamiya paints and is almost instantanious. I give the model a good wash with soapy water afterwards. It's also cheap and easy to get hold of...

Respond to this message   
Anthony Yu
(no login)

TSP works well

August 24 2004, 3:01 PM 

Some TSP mixed with water works really well. It is a lot cheaper than windex. If you have anything other than acrylics on it, try Castrol Super Clean. I've successivefully taken off lacquer from a 5 year old model without harm to the plastic.

Respond to this message   
Ian Stapley
(Login thuringen)
Missing-Lynx members

Nail varnish remover

September 21 2004, 12:32 PM 

For removing enamel paint, I found that nail varnish remover works well. Pour some into a container, dunk the model in it and scrub with an old toothbrush. Paint sometimes catches in the recesses but it is quite effective overall.

And before the funny replies pour in, I might add that it was my mother's bottle and not mine!

"At Victoria Station the RTO gave me a travel warrant, a white feather and a picture of Hitler marked "This is your enemy". I searched every compartment but he wasn't on the train".

Spike Milligan, "Adolf Hitler - My part in his downfall"

Respond to this message   
Michael Fredriksen
(Login younginPSM)

The quickest and most painless way...

August 27 2004, 11:23 AM 

...is to use easy-off oven cleaner. They have one that has no fumes and will rip the paint off in a hurry and you could leave plastic dipped in it and it won't harm it at ALL. I use an old toothbrush with soft bristles to get in the crevices. It works wonders on a ruined paintjob. But keep in mind it really only works with acrylics especially Tamiya. Enamels don't work so well.

HTH

MIKE

Respond to this message   
Alberto Flores
(Login amflores)
Missing-Lynx members

Removing Paint ?

September 22 2004, 4:23 PM 

Just dip your kit (painted w/Tamiya acrylics) in water w/a fair amount of any washing powder or liquid detergent.
After one hour, just brush the paint off.
HTH,
Flores

Respond to this message   
Bruce Creelman
(no login)

Windex

October 7 2004, 12:53 AM 

Windex does a quick, no work job removing Tamiya paint. Took only 5 minutes to totally strip the jagdtiger that I wasn't happy with the paint job. Just make sure you have a big rag to set the model on. The Windex that leaked through the rag also cleans us the model desk real good.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse