Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

small question about spec.weathering technique

October 14 2004 at 11:19 AM
Christophe Van Wonterghem  (no login)
from IP address 213.224.83.135

hello,

can somebody help me with this......
I would love to try a specifique technique for weatering where you pull down with a flat paintbrush
diff. dots of oil paints to give some live to your vehicle' paintjob.
now here's the question
do they have to be oil paints ( or can i use humbrol, tamiya enamel paints??)
what's the best thinner for this (again also when using enamels)

thx in advance for any help
Wonty

PS i have a subscrition on "steelmaster" a frensh afv modelingbook
i that they speak of "de l'essence F" for this job......but what is it???

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Vinnie Branigan
(no login)

It's called.....

October 14 2004, 11:51 AM 

Applying filters. Best to have applied an acrylic satin or gloss coat first, this then will not react to you applying your filters.
Dab different dots of oil colour on your armour, but be very sparing with some colours such as white since they are VERY intense, and then using a clean brush with white spirit, stroke downwards until you achieve the effect you want. The individual dots of oil paint will have almost disappeared, but will have left a pleasing 'filter' behind. Try it!

Vinnie Branigan

Respond to this message   
Vinnie Branigan
(no login)

Oop! I forgot....

October 14 2004, 11:53 AM 

to mention the Humbrol enamels! Er......don't.

Respond to this message   
Ken Neil
(no login)

Filters, Filters, Filters ....

October 16 2004, 2:48 AM 

another "buzzword". Are you refering to an overall very thin wash? Where do these terms come from? I know I am going to get a lot of static about this but perhaps I'm missing something here.

Respond to this message   
Vinnie Branigan
(no login)

Buzzwords

October 16 2004, 6:11 AM 

Nope. I'm not talking about an overall wash of any sort. As for 'filters' being a buzzword, it's just another technique in the vast array of techniques that you may or may not wish to use in trying to aquire the finish you want on your model.
A real (used) vehicle does not have completely uniform finish. It could well consist of a variety of different hues, marks etc., over the base coat that was factory applied. Filtering is an attempt to mimic this.

Vinnie Branigan

Respond to this message   
Johan Detruyer
(no login)

Your question

October 20 2004, 3:57 AM 

Christophe,

I use oil paints (Winsor&Newton, available in art or hobby shops, other brands will do as well).
You place little dots (experiment with the size of the dots) and then, with a flat brush with a thinner (for example white spirit, turpentine, Humbrol's thinner...) using downwards strokes (as explained in Steelmasters) wipe the dots away but not entirely.
I don't know what "Essence F" means in Flemish, any thinner will do.
Do not use Humbrol paints for this, you will just draw lines with it when using the brush with thinner.
You can also do it with pigments.
The best thing is just to experiment on a piece of scrap plastic sheet or on a scrap kit.
Kind regards, johan

Respond to this message   
Vinnie Branigan
(no login)

Filters..........

October 20 2004, 9:43 AM 

Deja Vu.....

Respond to this message   
Christophe Van Wonterghem
(no login)

thanks for the info

October 22 2004, 5:13 AM