Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

molding tracks

January 24 2005 at 12:57 PM
mitch davis  (no login)
from IP address 205.188.116.130

I have an old 1/48 aurora chi -ha kit that I want to make resin replacement tracks of from the vinyl ones in the kit . This is my first time to try mold making. I have bought the material already and what I want to know is, what is the best way to make this mold and if I am successful with this what is the best way to make the casting given all the nooks and crannies of the kit tracks. Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John O'Reilly
(no login)

Some help I hope

January 24 2005, 7:50 PM 

Mitch,as I don't know what materials you are using for the mold(I use Dow-Corning RTV 3420)or resin(I use Alumilite) my experience may be worthless to you but I've had great success casting track.Obiviously it requires a double-sided mold(with RTV a film of vaseline acts as the release for both sides).Once I have my mold(make sure you have line up points)I drill a small hole in the top of the guide tooth(teeth)to let the air out.I then mix my resin and using a toothpic add a few drops to each side and push it into all the tiny cracks and crevices(especially the guide teeth). Once I'm satisfied on that score I fill both sides of the mold and push them together.Messy,and not my normal way with two-sided molds, but because track is so tiny and the difficulty of getting the resin to flow into it,it works for me.Once I have a suffient number of track(usually 6 to 10) I join them to make runs and another mold,leaving enough to go around the sprocket and idler.The length of the runs depends on the vehicle and if you require sag on top.As I said,this has worked for me numerous times and I hope I've been some help.John

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse