Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Painting/weathering White stripes

September 22 2005 at 8:41 AM
  (Login SEDimmick)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 55.175.119.122

I'm looking for suggestions on how to paint white stripes and make them appear to be translucent. I'm in the process of building a T-64B and want to paint white "aggressor" stripes on it. I've painted white stripes on other Russian/Soviet tanks, but I want to give an effect of temporary paint in which you can see hints of green under it and the methods I've used before usually just give the effect of off white paint that doesn't show any green under it. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can try?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login philstutcinskas)
Missing-Lynx members

maybe..

September 22 2005, 11:14 AM 

add something like a varnish to the paint . not sure what type of paint you use. for tamiya , i would use "clear" . For enamels i would try a relevant Humbrol gloss coat. I think that the gloss varnish would help with the transparency . it can be matted down later. it might work, worth trying on a scrap model anyway.
phil stutcinskas

Respond to this message   

(Login bother37)
Missing-Lynx members

Try this

September 23 2005, 5:45 PM 

Hey Scott,
I would try using a combo of thinner/varnish. For Tamiya, use their thinner and Clear paint, mixed with a little white. Apply gradual coats sprayed at very low pressure. I'd test it before I sprayed it on that cool looking T-64!
Let us know how you make out.
Cheers-
Bob M

Respond to this message   

(Login thegoodsgt)
Missing-Lynx members

Another approach

September 26 2005, 7:53 AM 

You might try something like this:

Mask the area for the white stripes.
Apply a thin, tranparent coat of white paint with acrylics, allowing the green to show through a bit.
Take a white artist oil paint and thin it a bit with turps or white spirits and use a wide brush to apply a very thin "glaze" over the white acrylic paint. (The intent is to re-create the appearence of hand-applied paint.)
Remove mask.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Painting/weathering White stripes
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse