Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Working with PE (magnification and glue)

February 26 2006 at 7:23 PM
Dave Johannsen  (Login djohannsen)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 4.249.219.99

With DML's Tiger I (late), I'm making my first foray into the world of PE. So far, things are going fairly well, but there are a few areas where things could be better. First is the CA that I'm using (it's a private label from my local hobby shop); I find it a bit too thick and I find that applying it with a straightened paperclip doesn't give me enough control. So, what brand of CA and what method of application do find works for you? Second, I have a heck of a time seeing what I'm doing (and I'm not even all that old). I've seen some sort of visor magnifying things and I'm wondering if anyone uses such a thing and could make any recommendations. I would be grateful to hear form anyone about what worked for them.

Dave

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Greg H
(Login pyrman)
Missing-Lynx members

visor info

February 27 2006, 12:30 AM 

Dave,

I recently had to start using an optical device while modeling. I was told, by several fellow modelers, that the OptiVISOR LX is the best way to go. The OptiVISOR is made by Donegan Optical Co. (http://www.doneganoptical.com/) These can be purchased/ordered by most local hobby or train shops. They run about $30-50.00USD. I recommend the LX-3, it's 1.75 magnification at 14inches. The LX-7 is 2.75 magnification at 6inches distance.

Hope this helps,
Greg Harting

Respond to this message   
Mike Gardella
(Login mgard)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Working with PE (magnification and glue)

February 27 2006, 12:45 PM 

I use CA from a company called Zap. They make both thick, slow setting and thin fast setting types of glue. I apply the slow setting with a toothpick and the fast setting with an applicator that is basically a sewing needle with the top of the eye cut off. I can also recommend the Optivisor. My eyesight is not what it used to be. I use the #7 lense for general work and the #10 for close up work such as for painting figures. Depending on your eyseight and the distance you are comfortable with will determine what the best lenses are for your needs.

Mike

Respond to this message   
Dave Johannsen
(Login djohannsen)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Greg and Mike. It seems an Optivisor is in my future...

February 28 2006, 7:17 AM 

I hope my wife doesn't take one look at me wearing it and realize what a dork she married. Oh well, I guess that round went downrange quite a while back.

Respond to this message   
Niko Asposalo
(Login Nikoaspo)
Missing-Lynx members

Hi Dave

March 1 2006, 3:30 AM 

I use Eduard Extra thin or similar glue. It's water like and takes some time to get use to use it. I add it with a stretched sprue.

HTH,
Niko

Respond to this message   
Niko Asposalo
(Login Nikoaspo)
Missing-Lynx members

And luckily I don't need

March 1 2006, 3:35 AM 

any Optivisor or similar yet. Here is model I'm currently working on:
[IMG][/IMG]

Niko

Respond to this message