Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PE and vinegar question

July 10 2006 at 12:31 PM
Mike Gardella  (Login mgard)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 192.128.134.68

Awhile back I read somewhere that some people soak PE frets in vinegar prior to using. My question is, what exactly does the vinegar do and for how long should the frets be soaked in it. I am assuming that the vinegar used is the white variety. Thank you in advance.

Mike

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew Albrecht
(Login zaedish)
Missing-Lynx members

Not definite but...

July 10 2006, 2:25 PM 

I'm pretty sure vinegar oxidizes the surface so that CA/paint has better adhesion. I can't help with how long but perhaps you can stick an unused bit of fret in some for a few minutes?

HTH

Respond to this message   
Dany Mc Donald
(Login DanyMcdonald)
Missing-Lynx members

PE and vinegar question-----

July 10 2006, 4:52 PM 

Hi Mike,

I' haven’t read the article in question. But vinegar and talcum powder can be use to degrease brass and copper surfaces. It will remove the grease from finger prints and is mostly effective when rubbed and then washed in water...

Regards,

Dany Mc Donald

Respond to this message   
Kevin Brenton
(Login Kevin.BII)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: PE and vinegar question

July 11 2006, 12:40 AM 

Basically the vinegar is a very mild acid and is used to etch the PE to create 'tooth' for the paint to adhere to. It can be also used to clean oxidised PE for the glueing process.
White vinegar is the one to use.

Kevin (Bluey)
"I'm not young enough to know every thing"

Respond to this message   
Mike Gardella
(Login mgard)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks

July 12 2006, 10:00 AM 

Thanks guys for all of the tips.

Mike

Respond to this message