Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Clear coat before blending?

July 15 2006 at 12:07 AM
John Bonanni  (Login bonanf35)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 68.64.230.229

Hi Guys,

My question is, should I clear coat before blending oil paints? I have base coated my model in Tamiya acrylics, should I use Tamiya clear over it. If I do use Tamiya clear will it be a problem with oil and humbrol thinner? Thanks

-John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

no problems but

July 15 2006, 9:12 AM 

It might not be necessary either.

I paint my models with several brands of paint (Humbrol, Tamiya, Gunze and Model Master enamels and acrylics) and do not use a clear coat before weathering. I use Turpenoid (not Turpentine!) and oil washes with no problems what so ever.

Respond to this message   
Adam Wilder
(Login anpwilder)
MODERATORS ONLY - Constructive comments

Clear coats

July 15 2006, 2:13 PM 

Hello John
I would recommend a satin clear coat before applying any washes or blended oils. The clear will help to protect the acrylic base coat from the oils and enamel thinners.

The clear will also give your base coat more a polished aged weathered appearance in conjunction with the washes and other weathering steps.

Sincerely
ANPW

Respond to this message   
John Bonanni
(Login bonanf35)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Guys...

July 15 2006, 10:12 PM 

Thanks David and Adam,

I just put a fine satin finish of my T-55. Again thanks for the help.

-John

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse