Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PLEASE HELP washes

July 19 2006 at 9:19 PM
graham scollick  (Login Gra30)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 88.105.87.48

Hello

I am in some desperate need of some help please, or my loft or kits is going to have to go.

Yet again I have spent months on a model and its all gone wrong at the wash stage.

I am a figure modeller, with some success but I just cannot get to grips with AFVs.

Maybe I am too fussy or too used to oils, but I see fantastic models on here and just have to crack this.

I understand the principles and the difference between pin washes and overall, its the overall I am struggling with.

I spray paint in Tamiya or Humbrol. I have tried on a matt base and a gloss using oils and Humbrol thinners. Everytime the oil(Windsor and Newton Artist) tends to dry grainy instead of the nice feathered look. You have to look close but I am after that nice transition and shadow. I dont apply it all over but mosten the surface arond and feather it or try with a damp brush. It looks ok until it stars to dry.

Can anyone advise the best thiiners and paints to use in the UK. Maybe its a thinners problem?

Also what is the best way to outline the finer details and is this better than an overall wash.I have heard Humbrols is good for this and can be feathered as it cures.

I come from a time of the old drybrushing when these areas would get covered. I much prefer the new style and wish for a realistic look yet my models look lifeless and grainy.Does the paint I use have any bearing on the paint and thinners used, effect wise I mean rather than which will react as I am knowledgable on this.

I thankyou so much as I really am in need.Sorry for so many questions.

Kindest regards and thankyou for your time

Graham

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill Smithson
(Login billsmithson)
Missing-Lynx members

Washes

July 20 2006, 5:10 PM 

Just a thought, but when I use oils for a wash, I thin with turpentine, the same as when I'm painting figures. I do tend to use the 'recommended' thinner for the product I'm using, whether Humbrol, Vallejo, Tamiya, or Hannants. If you search ML you will note that others use all sorts, but I'm a little cautious when a great investment of time is about to be wasted/ruined!

By the way, oils thinned with turps works for me, but I've only been doing this for a couple of years, whereas the experience on this site is almost infinite!

Good luck.

Respond to this message   
Jim Krause
(Login jkrause70)
Missing-Lynx members

responce to wash

July 27 2006, 1:49 AM 

I found after a lot of failed trying that the best way to thin enamle or oil is with the cheap
mineral spirts for any hardwre store.
PLEASE save your self a lot of time by not using testors thinner this is the hottest thinner made.
I have found that about a mix of 80% thinner to about 20% paint works very well.
let it it dry for about three days then litely drybrush off excess.
Then if not happy,repeat adding more wash.
good luck,(I hope this helps)
Jim

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse