Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Brush painting plastic w/AGAMA paints

July 20 2006 at 10:46 AM
Magnus Schmauch  (Login masch3)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 80.246.106.4

I just bought som AGAMA acrylics and it doesn't stick to the plastic!

The paint forms pearls on the surface...

What should I do?

/Magnus

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Miguel Jimenez Mig
(Login Mig_Jimenez)
MODERATORS ONLY - ES

Try....

July 20 2006, 10:52 AM 

...to apply a primer first.

In general, the acrylic paints doesn't stick in plastic surfaces or resin.
I recomend you to apply a Tamiya primer frist, even with some Tamiya color.

Then, use the AGAMA.

Regards

MIG

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Common with some acrylics

July 20 2006, 2:39 PM 

Not just the AGAMA paints. Vallejo and Andrea are the same. They bead up on bare, smooth plastic or resin. As Mig noted, use some primer first. Sometimes I use a wash of enamel paints just to give the surface some bite.

Respond to this message   
Magnus Schmauch
(Login masch3)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks! - This is how I did it (and it worked)

July 21 2006, 3:25 AM 

I was seriously considering using a wash of thinner as suggested. However, I wanted to prepare four figure sets for painting while still on the sprues. A wash with some kind of thinner would have required a lot of thinner and moreover not be very friendly on the environment.

I opted to wash the kit parts in the bathroom sink with the detergent we normally use for the floors, but in a quite heavy concentration (recommended dose is one capsule of ca 40 ml on ten liters of water - I used maybe three times as much in a sink with mayber two or three liters of water. The plastic parts were rinsed throrughly in this "soup" (which accidentally smelled of spring flowers instead of chemicals ) I was careful to make sure that all parts were thoroughly cleaned. But be careful - I broke a helmet from the sprues which now is useless.

After this "bath" the sprues were thoroughly rinsed in the shower, the water was shaken off and the sprues placed on the balcony to dry.

A test (albeit with a different colour) showed that the paint now sticks. The surface of the plastic parts is quite roughed up by the detergent and the fact that I had done what I should have done from the very beginning - just wash off the mould release agent...

I'll keep you posted on the figures.

/M

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse