Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How make raised weld seems on Shermans

July 24 2006 at 3:50 PM
Bob Yack  (Login drbob64)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 69.225.231.221

I have seen modelers raise the seems on the Shermans with the white plastic strips ( I can't remember the name of the product ) and then apply (?) to soften it down and make it look like a weld. What is the product used to do this? Please help me!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike Gardella
(Login mgard)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: How make raised weld seems on Shermans

July 24 2006, 4:19 PM 

You can use stretched sprue and soften it with liquid cement such as Testors or Tamiya. Hope this helps.

Mike

Respond to this message   
Bob Yack
(Login drbob64)
Missing-Lynx members

Thank you!!!

July 25 2006, 5:27 AM 

I will give that a try. Thanks for the help!!!!

Respond to this message   
rob galassi
(Login biggs10)
Missing-Lynx members

evergreen!

July 24 2006, 7:42 PM 

That's what I've used, except I use evergreen (plastruct is basically the same) rods instead of strips. Glue them on, then use liquid cement all over them, then the back of an x acto to press in the pattern. Works quite well.

Rob

Respond to this message   
Bob Yack
(Login drbob64)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks!!

July 25 2006, 5:26 AM 

I will try to get some and thank you very much for the info!!!!

Respond to this message   
roy chow
(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members

One easier step

July 25 2006, 10:34 PM 

Plastruct makes shaped styrene rods. They have one that has a hemispherical cross section. This half-round rod is easier to make into weld beads than completely round rod or stretched sprue. Ask around at hobby shops or railroad shops. HTH, RC

Respond to this message   
Cliff Leverette
(Login J.Clifford)
Missing-Lynx members

more than one weld seam

July 31 2006, 4:27 PM 

Note that there are several seams together to make a seam. Weld rod not wide enough to do the job in one fell swoop! See if you can get close-up of a Sherman weld, you'll see one seam is really several smaller seams. Hence, the thinner the rod, the better.

Respond to this message   
Bob Yack
(Login drbob64)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks guys

August 3 2006, 12:10 AM 

Thank you for yopur imput!!! I will try to find smaller 1/2 round rods. Bob

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse