Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Painting over black basecoat

August 9 2006 at 3:23 AM
Andrew Rodwell  (Login Condate)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 81.137.153.18

Dear All,
Hi, this is my first post here. I asked the question on another website but can anyone here help.
I am a slow builder and have just basecoated Italeri's Crusader Mk11 in tamiya black. I am trying to follow a technique i have learned of, which basically involves preshading in black and building up lighter coats, in this case desert sand. But i am lost as what to do next. I know i have to spray in the centre of panels but how do i blend it all together.
Please forgive my waffling and asking such a basic question but can anyone help.
Thanks,
Rodders

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Niels Henkemans
(Login jpz4)
Missing-Lynx members

spray the complete model.......

August 9 2006, 7:10 AM 

to blend the colors. After you have finished painting all the panels etc. Spray a thin layer of paint over the complete model. With this the preshading should still be visible but the contrasts are much more subtle. Very easy way to blend everythinh. Just make sure you don't overdo it...
Hope this helps

Grtz Niels

http://groups.msn.com/dutchmodelbuilding

Respond to this message   
Andrew Rodwell
(Login Condate)
Missing-Lynx members

August 11 2006, 9:16 AM 

Thanks for your help. Will try as suggested
Rodders

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

watch for color bleed or shift

August 9 2006, 8:30 AM 

One thing I found with using a black base coat (now I use dark grey or dark brown or "mud" colors) is that some top colors can shift in value depending on their base. I find that often Tamiya German Dark Yellow turns greenish over a black base coat, but looks normal over another dark coat. Probably because most cheaper paints aren't pure mixes, so that black is really a very dark blue or has a lot of blue pigment in it... so if you apply a yellowish color on top of blue in thin layers, you get something that is greenish.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Rodwell
(Login Condate)
Missing-Lynx members

August 12 2006, 6:17 AM 

Thanks for the advice. I will try on my next model.
Thanks

Respond to this message   
Kevin Johnson
(Login Lukiftian)

It might have been better to start with a brown overall

August 9 2006, 5:38 PM 

...preshade with the black and then buildup with several gradually lighter shades of the finishing colour. While I've seen this all-black starting technique done successfully a number of times I'm not a big supporter of of it. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Rodwell
(Login Condate)
Missing-Lynx members

August 12 2006, 6:18 AM 

Hi, i take your point. As in the last email i will try on my next model.
Thanks for your help

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse