Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

how do you do tile zimmerit w/ putty?

January 27 2007 at 11:45 PM
  (Login PerryLockhart)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 71.49.16.86

what tool(s) do I use? Do I need to buy a dye?

Perry

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login asho77)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: how do you do tile zimmerit w/ putty?

January 28 2007, 12:49 AM 

Here is the weblink to MIG Productions Zimmeret Tool...hope this is what your looking for? Just copy and paste mate...

http://www.migproductions.com/MP/products/35135/35135.htm

Respond to this message   

(Login RobertLockie)
Missing-Lynx members

Buy a die? Great God no

January 29 2007, 11:02 AM 

If you mean the type seen on Panthers and some StuG IIIs, you can just score the surface while the stuff is drying. Alternatively, David Parker suggested using a home-made stamp of a sheet of styrene (I use the Evergreen planked stuff) with lengths of plastic rod cemented into the grooves to form raised lines. Push this into the epoxy putty with the lines aligned horizontally or vertically before it sets, then rotate 90 degrees and repeat for the other direction.

If you want to depict the waffle pattern, it is a few minutes' work to cut grooves in a spare chunk of resin sprue or you can fabricate your own with small squares of styrene strip on a larger piece. Obviously the styrene version only works on non-solvent putty!

I have nothing against manufacturers producing tools for the modeller but there is no reason not to make your own for this sort of thing, if for no other reasons than that it is more satisfying, cheaper and you can control the spacing to match your original subject.

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Plus

January 29 2007, 12:15 PM 

You can make your own stamps the size you need. I have used some pre-done metal zimmerit stamps, and they were tiny with goofy little handles. Make them yourself! And for waffle pattern you can make a stamp that will, say, do four squares at once rather than just one!

Respond to this message   
Perry Lockhart
(Login PerryLockhart)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks Robert!

January 30 2007, 1:12 AM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - how do you do tile zimmerit w/ putty?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse