Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Painting advice

June 19 2008 at 7:59 AM
Andy Hall  (Login pj598)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 86.146.219.145

hi everyone.

I am looking for some advice on finishing my Autoblinda AB41.

I fancied going for one the exotic "giraffe" type colour schemes and was wondering on how everyone would approach this, masking, freehand etc?

My initial idea was to spray a base colour mask, spray the secondary darker colour then freehand paint the demarcation lines.

Any ideas or advice greatly apreciated.

Andy

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members

You got it

June 19 2008, 9:34 AM 

Given that in actuality, it was applied free hand with an air gun, I think you have no options other than what you've proposed. Just keep the pressure very low (8-10 PSI) and the paint very thin. Keep regularly daubing the nozzle of your airbrush to clean out any build up.

You get a sense of what 1/72 aircraft builders must contend with on most builds!

I have a P-40 Medium almost done too. It'll have that same scheme you're using. Best of luck to you.

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   
Andy Hall
(Login pj598)
Missing-Lynx members

One last question(for now) :-).

June 19 2008, 10:42 AM 

Thanks for the reply Roy, what do you use as a mask? I was thinking of using masking film having never tried the silly putty way of masking before it kinda frightend me off. Especially as i have a fair bit of etch on the model?

I pity you aircraft modellers out there if you have to go through this on a regular basis, give me a soft edge ambush scheme or a single colour finish any day

Andy

Respond to this message   

(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members

Masks? We don't need no steeenkin' masks!

June 19 2008, 11:42 AM 

Do everything freehand Andy. For the trouble of protecting versus a little bit of overspray, the time it would take to mask it isn't worth it. Just keep a steady hand and keep the spray very tight.

My formula is:

8-10PSI
acrylics thinned about 50/50
airbrush nozzle about one inch from surface
and lots of patience!

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Painting advice
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use