Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Recommendations for Clamp

July 10 2008 at 11:06 PM
  (Login Zitadelle)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 72.219.253.186

Any recommendations for a clamp for holding a kit either during construction or during painting?

Usually, I find myself holding the kit with one of my paws while applying the small detail or painting. Other times I just place the kit on my worksurface and when I need to use two paws, and hope that the kit stays stationary while I pretend to have some dexterity with this hobby. Unfortunately, over the past there have been a few close calls or cases where my grip has accidently broken/dislodged a smaller part.

So, I would appreciate any recommendations (and of course links) for clamps that others use for holding a kit or subassembly (e.g., turret, vehicle hull, lower suspension, etc...) while it is under construction.

My under-construction projects will appreciate your recommendations and the chance to avoid my paws.

Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bobCollignon
(Login sherman56)
Missing-Lynx members

Broad subject with ...

July 14 2008, 11:43 AM 

lots of possible answers-Some suggestions from personal experience
1. Look for the Mr. Hobby (Gunze I think) hand held platform clamp with the turnable deck and handle. This unit will give you complete control over access to paint and work on the model-The Toy soldier shop in Mich has these-a really great product I wish I could get them for my shop
2. Mr. Hobby makes a swell stand with a spaced T-bar and off the bar are bendable wires with soft grip alligator clips on the end. 8 total. The whole unit sits on a heavy stable magnetic steel base-I use mine all the time
3. The Tamiya paint stand(s) 2 in the box plus clamps, 2 kinds wore and alligator, that can be arrayed around the painting decks-a great deal only $22 again I use mine all the time.
4. Squadron and Micro mark sell some old style jewelers hand clamps with handles-these work well for smaller purposes ie they won't allow, at least without lots of additional rigging, hold an entire model.
5. Andrea makes a very nice platform clamping system but it is very expensive and products 1-2-3 are easier to work with. I also have this one and use above products much more-I use my Tamiya stand the most. The deck can be lifted off the tamiya stand to do more up close hand work

The one thing that I will stress is that a large decked stand/clamp system works well with a full-ish kit or dio but for smaller hand work on "parts" you'll need a smaller hand clamp.

Go to the Squadron or Micro Mark or Model Expo sites and search their tool/clamp sections and you'll see some great products, some very reasonible
If I was pressed to recommend one product I would say the Tamiya stand set 2 stands, clamps, bases work well and easily and a TERRIFIC value for the dollar-These #GUYZ hobbies has and extra clamps, Squadron carries them too

My2cbobC

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Recommendations for Clamp
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse