Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

potential convert to acrylics here

October 11 2008 at 1:50 PM
TSkross  (Login TSkross)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 98.220.10.7

Hi everyone
Well I've been a long time user of artist's oil paints, (I'm a painter so I always have them!)
I'm happy with the results that I can achieve but not with how long it takes, and recent developments have led me to have to cut back on my workbench schedule so time is of the essence! I've been thinking about switching to acrylics for at least the base coats of my afv's and figure's clothing.
Now, I'm wondering about what brands people like, I'm looking for something that has a decent body and opacity (ie good coverage) that can be used pretty much straight out of the jar (or can or tube!)
I currently don't have an airbrush so that is not an issue for me.
I've heard good things about vallejo and tamiya but having never used them I'm not sure about the consistency and covering ability

Any help would be much appreciated!!
cheers

This message has been edited by TSkross from IP address 98.220.10.7 on Nov 10, 2008 3:10 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Scott Millican
(Login viper29_ca)
Missing-Lynx members

Vallejo

October 13 2008, 12:47 PM 

If you are brush painting, then Vallejo for sure. They cover well, hard as nails when dry.

Multitude of colors (over 200 at this time), I would say the #1 brand among figure modelers.

Tamiya airbrush fine, but their paint brushing ability leaves alot to be desired.

Respond to this message   
TSkross
(Login TSkross)
Missing-Lynx members

thanks much

October 13 2008, 3:49 PM 

Thanks for the tip, I was leaning that way after looking at the color selection, looks good

This message has been edited by TSkross from IP address 98.220.10.7 on Nov 10, 2008 3:11 PM

Respond to this message   
Karl N. Hoy
(Login Karl187)
Missing-Lynx members

Andrea

October 27 2008, 10:39 AM 

Vallejo are pretty good and I use them for my vehicles etc but I am very keen on Andrea Model Color for figure painting- I find they are just a little better for that than Vallejo.

(Try Humbrol enamels aswell, they are great for drybrushing and their coverage, I find, can be superior to acrylics which can get 'clumps' more often.)

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse