Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Whats wrong with using Testors Dull and Gloss Coats????

October 18 2011 at 8:21 PM
  (Login veezerboy)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 24.136.75.145

I know that people are using Future, but not Testors stuff when it's made for this purpose.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bobCollignon
(Login sherman56)
Missing-Lynx members

Humidity...

October 19 2011, 11:08 AM 

I stopped using it years ago because both seemed very prone to problems depending on the relative humidity that day. Dull coat was never really dull and gloss was never really gloss. So because I could never be quite sure of my results I just stopped using it
Regards bobC

Respond to this message   

(Login fredman22)
Missing-Lynx members

Alternative Flat Coat?

October 21 2011, 10:58 AM 

Although I'm a brush painter at the whim of spray lacquers for intermediate and final coats, I'm curious as to what you've found for a more consistant & stable flat coat (no doubt through an airbrush)?

Respond to this message   
bobCollignon
(Login sherman56)
Missing-Lynx members

My old fav was...

October 21 2011, 12:51 PM 

PollyScale flat finish, so I assume that Model Master Flat/Matte finish is now the same stuff seeing as how RPM (parent company) has ceased the PollyScale brand (too bad)
Vallejo matte Finish, not medium nor varnish but finish, works well but not as well as PollyScale. Alclad has just released a Flat Finish that is looking promising both for brush and airbrush. PollyScale was terrific for brush painting. One think to remember when brush painting clear finishes- they have to be dry, hard dry, not just dry to the touch
My2cbobC

Respond to this message   

(Login fredman22)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: My old fav was...

October 22 2011, 2:34 PM 

Wow. I wasn't aware that Polly Scale is no more! My recently-closed LHS was stocked up on it and I preferred it to Tamiya acrylic which always seems a little thick and prone to quick drying. I have used Model Master flat lacquer (both brush & spray can). The bottle stuff dries semi-matte and to me is great for drip effects only. After Dullcote failed me, I briefly tried Model Master Flat coat spray with about the same results (at the time I was not aware of the high humidity phenomenom). I now use Tamiya flat with about the best results, but the recent low-pressure/high humidity front brought about the same result, so I think any can spray will probably be affected. Thanks for your response...

Respond to this message   

(Login Gluehuffer)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Whats wrong with using Testors Dull and Gloss Coats????

October 22 2011, 12:26 PM 

Future = easy and almost foolproof. If you somehow manage to screw it up you can just wipe it off. Not to mention way cheaper.

Respond to this message   

(Login fredman22)
Missing-Lynx members

October 22 2011, 2:35 PM 

Mike, how do you achieve a flat finish with Future?

Respond to this message   

(Login Gluehuffer)
Missing-Lynx members

October 28 2011, 9:07 PM 

Mix a flat base into it, like Tamiya's X-21.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Whats wrong with using Testors Dull and Gloss Coats????
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse