Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Toothbrush sander

January 19 2012 at 10:28 PM
Aaron Smith  (Login Stooga1)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 94.202.175.253

I am sure someone else must have thought of this, but I have gone back through about 50 pages of Tricks & Trips and I can't find it, so...

You can make an excellent power sander using a cheap (or old) electric toothbrush:

1. Remove the bristles from the head. The bristles are usually just press-fitted into the head, and can be removed easily with pliers;
2. Cut a circle of 1-2mm double sided foam mounting tape to the same shape and size as the head of the toothbrush, and mount to the head;
3. Mount your choice of waterproof sandpaper on the mounting tape and trim to size; and
4. Conveniently sand recessed knockout marks and mould lines in places too tight for fat fingers like mine!

I find that because of the frequency of the movement of the toothbrush head I can use a much finer sandpaper than I would normally, giving a smooth finish very quickly - you just need to keep rinsing the head in clean water mixed with a few drops of dish-washing detergent to prevent clogging.

The beauty of this method is that it is very easy to buy a few extra heads and mount varying grades of paper, so even heavy sanding is not a problem. As the paper wears out it can be used for progressively finer sanding (up to transparent canopy polishing), or simply changed by removing the mounting tape and replacing it.

Hope this helps - I find mine almost indispensable.

Aaron

This message has been edited by Stooga1 from IP address 94.202.175.253 on Jan 20, 2012 11:33 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom Ferris
(Login tommyg50)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks!

January 20 2012, 12:55 PM 

Aaron, thanks for passing that along I'm going home tonight and trying it out.

Respond to this message   
roy chow
(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members

Explain that to the SWMBO!

January 21 2012, 1:44 PM 

LOL

Great idea!

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   
Aaron
(Login Stooga1)
Missing-Lynx members

Good point Roy...

January 21 2012, 9:22 PM 

I should have added step 5: Never, ever, leave your toothbrush sander on the charger instead of SWMBO's toothbrush... Trust me on this...

This message has been edited by Stooga1 from IP address 94.202.175.253 on Jan 22, 2012 12:09 PM

Respond to this message   
Andy Simpson
(Login ajsimpson)
Missing-Lynx members

Rotary sanders

April 18 2012, 6:37 AM 

What a terrific idea. 8000 orbits per minute, some 600 grit wetndry and since the scratches are rotary, they cancel out, leaving a smooth finish. Brilliant. I have an old brush that I use to clean parts down with liquid soap when I get ready to build them and it's very thorough, and has two spare heads so this is an extra bonus. All for £10. Quick change the heads and we have a new tool.
AndyS

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse