Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Issue with Vallejo Air paints and Hairspray.........

February 21 2012 at 1:05 AM
  (Login veezerboy)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 24.136.75.145

I had painted my Tiger in a base coat of Model Master Enamel Grey and it had cured for a couple of months.

Decided to do the hairspray thing for it's 3 tone camo. Wanted to show 4 months of nice wear and tear.

Sprayed the Tresme fine mist hairspray on it, 2 coats, and let dry for approx 1 hour.

Mixed up a base coat of Air Dark Yellow and White, sprayed it on............................ And when it dried, there where CRACKS everywhere in the paint!!! Even after 4 coats, the cracks would not close up, and they were everywhere!!!

So, after a lacquer thinner scrub, the paint came off. It was coming off with water, but not good enough.

So, my question is, What Happened??? It's like the Air paint would not hold onto the hairspray. Does the Air brand not work for this??

A totally major set back. I had high hopes of getting the camo and chipping done this week, but now I'm back to painting the grey again. The lacquer didn't eat all the way through the hairspray and grey, but it's a light grey now. Just really bummed sad.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login afvmodeller)
Missing-Lynx members

Possibly

February 21 2012, 5:25 AM 

Hello Ron

I find that Vallejo Air does not adhere well to a glossy surface like you will have after applying hairspray. It also tends to ball on bare plastic. The regular Vallejo colours should work better - just thin with water.
The grey coat will probably have lifted due to all the water and scrubbing.

Hope that is some help and better luck next time.

regards David

Respond to this message   
Ron Hetherington
(Login veezerboy)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Dave!! That explains everything. I think Vallejo needs to fix this issue....

February 21 2012, 5:05 PM 

because I'm going back to Tamiya for the bite properties that they have. It's a shame to because the Air paints flow really nice thru the gun.

Respond to this message   

(Login viper29_ca)
Missing-Lynx members

I had the same problem...

February 21 2012, 11:40 PM 

However I was using regular Vallejo Model Color thinned down with their thinner, and it cracked.

I let it dry, and went over it again with the same color but this time thinned with distilled water, and it didn't seem to have the same cracking effect.

Left me to believe that it wasn't actually the paint, but the something in the thinner that reacted with the hairspray. Vallejo air would have some of the thinner it in, which could be why it cracked. I don't recall the brand of hairspray I used.

Fortunately for me, I was doing it on a Japanese Zero...heavily chipped, and the cracking just sort of worked into the chipped paint.

It is possible that it has something to do with the drying of the paint too....as they dry pretty quickly, it might be worth an experiment by adding some Liquitex to the paint to slow the drying down, to see if it keeps it from cracking. Worth a shot anyway.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Issue with Vallejo Air paints and Hairspray.........
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse