Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Advice on shaping resin

January 25 2016 at 3:08 PM
Michael McDonald  (Login mlmcdonald)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 174.50.138.144

I have the resin bumpers for the LWS, and I have to do some bending and shaping. I have never used resin before and have only a vague conviction that I should use steam. Would someone please give me some guidance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
roy chow
(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members

Hot water

January 25 2016, 4:01 PM 

You can better regulate the heating with a pot of very hot water (not boiling). Plus it'll be safer than steam. Once you get it to the shape you desire, quickly dip it into a cool water bath to lock it into place. If you don't like it, try and try again. Good luck
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!
http://www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   
Michael McDonald
(Login mlmcdonald)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Hot water

January 25 2016, 4:09 PM 

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you handle it? Gloves? Tongs/tweezers?

Respond to this message   
Chris Grove
(Login chrismmgrove)
Missing-Lynx members

Handling hot resin

January 27 2016, 4:46 PM 

Hi Michael

The answer to your query is Yes! Whichever and whatever will get the job done without burning you. I very often hold one end while pouring hot water from kettle on the other end. When cool, turn around and repeat!

I do have to say that some things still have me stumped. I have a fine tank transporter body, but the chassis, which is part of the same piece of resin, is clearly warped!

Chris

This message has been edited by chrismmgrove from IP address 88.106.254.242 on Jan 27, 2016 4:46 PM

Respond to this message   
Michael McDonald
(Login mlmcdonald)
Missing-Lynx members

Well, for my first time with resin,

January 28 2016, 8:25 PM 

I picked a piece that is really heavy in the center, i.e., where it needs to bend, and thins towards each side.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse