Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Measuring and Cutting Styrene Tube

June 27 2016 at 7:07 PM
Jonathan Gibson  (Login Zitadelle1943)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 72.219.224.78

This may seem like a simple question, but I am looking for a precise cut. I have a 3/8" styrene tube that I need to quarter into a 90 degree curve for a curved hull plate conversion. So, what is the best means to accurately measure the cut line?-- I foresee as a cut line down the length of the tube (and how to ensure straight). Also, how to ensure that the angle is a 90 degree angle.

If there are any recommended tools for making these cuts, any insight into those would be great.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/recommendations.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
george moore
(Login Wellsbourne)
Missing-Lynx members

Cutting tube

June 28 2016, 7:50 AM 

This is not a simple question. It took me a while to solve this problem when scratchbuilding.

Prepare the tube by marking on the end, centre lines at 90 degrees.
One easy way to mark the centres is to draw on plastic sheet two lines as horizontal and vertical centre lines. Drill, or make a hole in the centre that will allow the tube to fit snug. Then you can mark the points at the end of the tube.

There are some simple jigs you can construct, use two strips to form a 90 degree angle. Measure one strip "the upright" to be the size you want, or 1/4 the dia of the tube.
The tube can be secured in the angle, or the jig and tube held down on the bench.....make the sections you want longer than required. Line up the edge of the jig with the centre line on the end.
Carefully scribe a line on the tube, using the jig as a template......slow and easy.....make deeper cuts as you progress, but the harder you press, the more chance of a mistake, or the blade wandering off.

I have found that the tube does not need to be cut through, but will "break" where scored.
Lay the parts flat on grit paper, gently flatten the cut surfaces.
Check the shapes are equal quarters by Mk1 eyeball, any slight difference can be adjusted by adding a thin strip to one edge to make up size.

Hope this helps.

George.

Respond to this message   
Matt Leese
(Login mdlbldrmatt135)
Missing-Lynx members

Cutting tube

June 28 2016, 7:51 AM 

Use a piece of 3/16" thick stock and scribe along the length. you could create an end piece that ensures you center it the same way, by lining up the previous cut.

Pic:

[linked image]

This message has been edited by mdlbldrmatt135 from IP address 209.45.250.66 on Jun 28, 2016 7:57 AM

Respond to this message   
Jonathan Gibson
(Login Zitadelle1943)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks George and Matt

June 28 2016, 10:53 PM 

Thanks for the assistance gentlemen. You both gave really good advice/pointers and the quick graphic by Matt clearly illustrates an approach.

Respond to this message   
Jeff Nolan
(Login JeffNolan)
Missing-Lynx members

K&S makes a tubing cutter cheap

August 10 2016, 8:06 PM 

Might be of interest.

Cheers

Jeff

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use