Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Best treatment for clear plastic to look like glass?

March 14 2017 at 7:16 PM
Andrew Tomlinson  (Login AndrewTomlinson)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 82.15.127.117

Hi
Some use Johnson's Klear.
Some use Tamiya Gloss Clear.
Some polish with their Jeans.
Some just use as is...

Any more to add? I have used Klear, old bottle, now needs diluting usually. But still not overly happy with it.

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Matt Nethery
(Login Retiredyank)
Missing-Lynx members

Dip in appropriate Tamiya clear. Then, dip in Future.

March 26 2017, 5:29 AM 

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson)
Missing-Lynx members

Does the Tamiya Gloss dry v quick?

April 7 2017, 3:23 PM 

Hi
I'm imtrigued...

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Gordon Parker
(Login GordonParker)
Missing-Lynx members

Glass Slides

April 27 2017, 11:20 AM 

Hi Andrew,

A friend of mine has ordered some very thin glass specimen slides. He says that he has used them before and had great results. I will be getting a bunch to play with, so will report the results.

I have always used Future Floor wax (same product as the Johnson as I understand) on my aircraft canopies and have been quite happy with the results. I like the way you can tint Future and make your taillights stand out (also good for little puddles of wee , just saying).
But the flat panes of a windshield add extra problems due to the thickness of the plastic. I have tried polishing, future and dirt and never been completely happy with the results.
Whenever I can hide a windshield with a tarp (often seen on Commonwealth Jeeps) or leave them off altogether like the side curtains on most Canadian and British softskins. Abstinence can work.
I have tried acetate sheet, saran wrap (cling film) and had varied results. The saran actually looked pretty good on the side curtains of my Chevrolet FAT.

Gord

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson)
Missing-Lynx members

Great ! But how do you cut them?!

April 27 2017, 2:21 PM 

Hi
Sounds v useful otherwise...

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Gordon Parker
(Login GordonParker)
Missing-Lynx members

According to Dan ...

April 27 2017, 9:24 PM 

Score the glass with a scribing tool, snap on a straight edge and then sand the edges with wet and dry. Apparently these slides are extremely thin and easy to work with.
I was supposed to see Dan tonight and try out the technique but he dropped a freezer on his foot so won't be going anywhere for a few days.
I will report as soon as I have more info.

Gord

Respond to this message   
Gordon Parker
(Login GordonParker)
Missing-Lynx members

Still no Dan but he dropped the slides off...

May 8 2017, 2:53 PM 

I think he has a new woman in his life ... so no Dan but he dropped off the slides.

Firstly, these are slide covers, not slides, and these are very different things.
Hey I was an arts major, who new?
The slide COVERS are amazingly thin and clear and scale! I will play with them this week. Dan says it is easy peasy but the edges can get very sharp. He scores with an etching tool (I think).
If this works it will change the way I build anything with a windshield and may involve a couple of rebuilds as well

Gord

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse