Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hairspray???

April 27 2017 at 10:45 AM
Gordon Parker  (Login GordonParker)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 70.70.29.50

I have been hearing about hairspray use by modellers.
Is it to keep out hair extra poofy after a long day hunched over a kit? Or is there a practical use?
I do realise poofy hair is practical for some, so no offense meant.

Gord

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jon Arnold
(Login jon_a_its)
Missing-Lynx members

Hairspray? Pssst!

May 3 2017, 5:36 AM 

The gist of it is to reproduce worn, chipped paint effects, and/or faded/worn winter camo whitewash with the base colours showing through...

Briefly: paint base colour primer, apply barrier varnish, allow to completely dry.

Then apply the hairspray (or several mfrs have chipping mediums) and then your topcoat, & distress to taste.

these youtube videos give a better explaination
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hiarspray+technique&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=HaMJWaH0PITVXraxqpAO#q=hairspray+technique

Respond to this message   
Gordon Parker
(Login GordonParker)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Jon!

May 3 2017, 11:58 AM 

Psst indeed!
Sounds very intriguing and I will watch the videos today. I have been very impressed with the look of a couple of CMP's models with the paint heavily chipped and worn.
The chipping looks great when well done but I do wonder at the level of the effect on active AFV's or in fact any military vehicle other than wrecks and derelicts.
A lot of the maintenance that would involve bolt tightening and such would have been done out of service and then any exposed metal would have been re-painted.
When I was in the reserves we were taught that rust was death and any exposed metal was usually painted that day.
I guess that's what you mean by "to taste".

Gord

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse