Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Securing Minute Etch

April 27 2017 at 1:10 PM
Matt Nethery  (Login Retiredyank)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 70.178.238.18

I am working, with 1mm letters and numbers. They have to line up perfectly to fit. I tried securing them, with varnish. But, it did not provide a strong enough bond. I tried extra thin CA, but it flooded the symbols. Before buying special glue, I thought to try PVA. I mixed Elmer's School Glue and distilled water in equal parts. Simply touch the etch to the slurry and place. You have some working time and, if it is off or lose can be removed, have glue applied and reposition easily. I you want, I can post a photo of the tools and final assembly to give you a better idea of this technique.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
George Proulx
(Login 48gunny)
Missing-Lynx members

etch locating

May 10 2017, 1:24 PM 

I use extra thin plastic cement to position the etch. It will not bond but it will hold it in place so that once I like the position I can touch the edge with CA and capillary action should flow around the piece and secure it.

George

This message has been edited by 48gunny from IP address 24.113.69.63 on May 10, 2017 1:27 PM

Respond to this message   
Matt Nethery
(Login Retiredyank)
Missing-Lynx members

Unfortunately, even extra-thin ca glue floods such tiny pieces.

May 10 2017, 4:22 PM 

Respond to this message   
Ian Alderman
(Login lesraimand99)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Unfortunately, even extra-thin ca glue floods such tiny pieces.

May 12 2017, 2:55 AM 

As George said, but spray with varnish, (or similar), afterwards instead of flooding with CA.

Ian

Respond to this message   
Matt Nethery
(Login Retiredyank)
Missing-Lynx members

nt

May 14 2017, 8:59 AM 

This message has been edited by Retiredyank from IP address 70.178.238.18 on May 14, 2017 9:00 AM

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Gator's Grip Glue works well for it

June 21 2017, 10:01 AM 

It's a clear vinyl-like, pva style glue but with more grip and tack.

http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html

It's also great for windshields, headlights, and non clear parts that are at risk for being bumped since it has a bit of give and won't snap.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse