Home > Discussion Groups > Tricks & Tips

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
  Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 20 April, registration is compulsory if you wish to post messages on the Discussion Boards. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=95064&messageid=1113823324
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Decal colour change

June 19 2017 at 9:21 AM
Howard Robins  (Login chippyrail)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 86.5.59.104

I am building a Merit Diamond T Tank Transporter in original British colour as painted by the factory 'Coronado Tan' The colour has been recently found on a transporter in Europe with the 'Strong Man' lifting a tank & this was white. Unfortunately the Star Decals have used yellow for their version & I wondered if there was a way to use these decals as a stencil; I have thought of painting the door in white, putting the decal on then spraying the Coranado Tan over the top then removing the decal which I think is chancy. Anyone has any ideas?
All help will be gratefully received
TIA Howard.

There seems to be some confusion over what decal am trying to change the colour of. The Star Decals I mentioned above is a company which used to be Bison Decals, hence the use of capital letters, this does not refer to Allied stars which were not around in North Africa at this time. The strong man referred to above was depiction of the character holding a tank above his head! Google Star Decals 35-963 M19 Diamond T tank transporter Middle East & the Western Desert, to get a visual of the 'Strong Man'.

This message has been edited by chippyrail from IP address 86.5.59.104 on Jun 23, 2017 7:28 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Matt Nethery
(Login Retiredyank)
Missing-Lynx members

White paint, a steady hand and a fine brush.

June 19 2017, 7:40 PM 

Apply the decal and paint it white.

Respond to this message   
Jon Arnold
(Login jon_a_its)
Missing-Lynx members

Stencils vs. Decals

June 20 2017, 5:55 AM 

Google your favourite online vendors or auction sites...

Your options are Stencils, and/or Paint Masks, PE or Vinyl:

J's Work Marking Mask for 1/35 WWII US Star for ShermanPPA5028 or Eduard 1/35 US Stars Medium paint mask # XT004 or many others

Or aftermarket rub-down transfers/decals:

Archer, or Peddinghaus, Xtradecal, Star Decal, or many others.

Alternatively, trace the yellow decal outline on Tamiya tape & spray your own. I think painting your vehicle OD, then paint the white star on top, I think that looks better.

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Once you put a decal down... they don't come back up

June 21 2017, 9:58 AM 

Easily

It would be much easier to just buy some pre cut vinyl star stencils (Eduard and others), photo-etch template/stencil, aftermarket waterslide or dry transfer stars (Archer has both) etc.

Or, you can cut your own using Tamiya wide tape or something similar. Put the tape on a piece of glass or tile, lay out the stars and cut them out with a knife. Paint the doors white, apply the star mask, and then paint the tan.

These are for aircraft but would work on armor [linked image]

This message has been edited by djnick66 from IP address 65.33.79.222 on Jun 21, 2017 10:02 AM

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson)
Missing-Lynx members

I have stencils in the storage...

June 22 2017, 6:20 PM 

from kid's school stickers. Various sizes. How urgent? Also Letraset ones.

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Howard Robins
(Login chippyrail)
Missing-Lynx members

Confusion

June 23 2017, 7:30 AM 

Please reread edited text above.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson)