Canoe Country BWCA Bulletin Board

Canoe Country BWCA Bulletin Board Sponsored By

Gunflint Lodge and Canoe Outfitters - Gunflint Trail Rockwood Canoe Outfitters - Gunflint Trail LaTourell's Canoe Trips - Ely, Minnesota Canoe Canada Outfitters - Atikokan, Ontario
Lutsen Resort - Lutsen, Minnesota Voyageur Canoe Outfitters - outfitting for the BWCA and Quetico Park Boundary Waters Canoe Outfitters - Ely, Minnesota Cascade Lodge - Lutsen, Minnesota

BWCA Home | Bulletin Board Home | Chat Room | BWCA Blogs | Acceptable Uses and Terms of Service | Canoe Country Jobs

Return to Index  

Gravity water filters

June 6 2012 at 8:37 AM
No score for this post

howard sprague  (Login HowardSprague)

OK, have any of you used the MSR AutoFlow gravity filter?http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Water-Treatment-And-Hydration/Basecamp-Water-Treatment-And-Hydration/AutoFlow-Gravity-Filter/product

Been reading unfavorable reviews of the Katadyn BaseCamp and favorable comments about the Sawyer. I want simplicity, so the Sawyer is out for me. Negative comments about the Katadyn Base Camp include clogging, but I've also heard about clogging with the Hiker pump filter - which I have - and I have never experienced any problems with that whatsoever. And some people find a few minutes of pumping to be a tedious, difficult ordeal (what's the matter, you late for a nap in the hammock?)), something which is totally lost on me.
I don't want to hang multiple bags or make it look like the camp houses a dialysis clinic, and I don't want to learn some "backflushing" concept and I don't want to rig up some ingenious method of creating a better gravity filtration mousetrap. I want to hang one bag of water on a branch and let it pur/trickle into our smaller water bottles.

So it's between the Base Camp and the MSR linked above. MSR is an awesome company so I would expect a great product. Any experience with this one? Thanks!

....enjoy every sandwich.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Boundary Waters Canoe Area Web site
Boundary Waters Canoe Area Web site
Over 32 million visitors have used this service in the past 17 years!
Lodging and Canoe Trip Specials | BWCA Bulletin Boards |
RSS Feed | Canoe Country Jobs | Canoe Country Blogs

Request Advertising Info
Don't have a Web site? 
We can create one for you
click here

Privacy Policy | Contact Us

Published from the edge of the Boundary Waters
Canoe Area

Updated April 13, 2013

RSS Feeds

All Original Content and Coding