Welcome to the New and Improved (Gold) Monkey House

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anyone but the Region 2 DVDs?

October 31 2009 at 11:32 PM
Evan C. Wright  (no login)
from IP address 99.144.234.171

Has anyone purchased the new DVD set? What sort of extra features do the DVD come with?

-Evan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Patricia
(no login)

Region 2 DVD set to be released on November 9

November 2 2009, 9:21 AM 

Just 1 week to go before the show officially hits DVD. The set's special features include:

- Brand New 36 Minute "Making of" Documentary with Stephen Collins (Jake Cutter), Caitlin O'Heaney (Sarah Stickney White), Tom Greene (Writer/Producer), Harvey Laidman (Director)
- Audio Commentaries on 5 Episodes
- Series Synopsis
- Stills Gallery
- Caitlin's Original Costume Gallery
- Artefacts Gallery
- 24- Page Collectors Booklet

Sean
(no login)

Re: Anyone but the Region 2 DVDs?

November 2 2009, 1:04 PM 

That sounds so cool! I wish it wasn't region 2. Very upset about that.

Sean
(no login)

Anyone?

November 16 2009, 10:57 AM 

It's been a week now. I'm dying to know what the quality is like. How are the features etc?

Goldmonkey fan
(no login)

November 16 2009, 2:06 PM 

Sean, no need to worry. A region 1 release will be coming in 2010. Check www.tvshowsondvd.com for details!

Evan
(no login)

DVD set

November 17 2009, 9:58 AM 

Awesome!

Sean
(no login)

November 17 2009, 10:48 AM 

OK, now I'm happy.

Jason
(no login)

November 17 2009, 6:19 PM 

Hi from the UK. My DVDs arrived yesterday from HMV. I've watched the documentary and the first two episodes so far. The episodes are looking good. Picture is pretty good so no complaints there. Some of the dialogue may possibly be slightly quiet in the pilot at times but not enough to be a problem and episode two seemed fine. Documentary is excellent and comprehensive. Everyone seems to have genuinely good memories of making the show. I'm extremely impressed that the DVD company have actually gone to the trouble of making these extras. The best thing though is of course being able to see the show again for the first time in 27 years (and finding that i still like it!)

Goldmonkey Fan
(no login)

November 18 2009, 1:48 PM 

Can anyone confirm that the actual original network episodes were used and not syndicated prints? What are the runtimes of the episodes on the DVD? Thanks.

Jason
(no login)

November 19 2009, 2:08 PM 

The running time on the last episode of the DVD I watched was about 48 minutes. No sign of any cuts. The preview scenes at the start of each episode are intact too. Hope that helps.

GoldmonkeyFan
(no login)

November 19 2009, 10:07 PM 

Jason thanks. That helps. Since they'll probably be using the same source tapes that they did on the UK/Australia release that they will with the USA release it doesn't sound like I need to worry. I can't wait for the US release. Is the picture/sound quality good?

Hoffballet
(Login hoffballet)

Commentaries

November 19 2009, 10:28 PM 

Since I posted, my friend brought over a DVD with the full commentary of "Last Chance Louie". The DVD was transfered from the Box Set, and the quality was outstanding. I've been told it's even better than when orignally aired. In those days, people didn't have the kind of screens they do now, and the transfers were many times done without going through a "wet gate", and were full of dust and crap, and even bad edit splices (even though they were all "negitive cut"). They were transfered to video, which back then was a bit crude, and a second 16mm print ran at the same time, in case the video broke, which it did more times than not, and suddenly you'd be seeing a horrid 16mm untimed print of the show! So first I was blown away by the look of the show. And for the commentary, it was, in a word: stunning. So much detail. So beautifully told. How the producer, Tom Greene could recall in such vivid speak so much wonderful stories is beyond me! It was like he had just walked off the set and was talking about it. I know a lot of the people on the show loved it so that they all were bursting with stories. If you watch that home made video of the reunion, you can see that. They all had stories. But Greene is a born story-teller, and you can hear that he not only took a great deal of care in making these, but has a wonderful way of talking. He should be doing more of these (why only five?!??!), and have his own show talking about movies, or TV or anything. I can't wait to hear the others. I'm told the other commentaries that Greene does are: "Force of Habit", "Last Chance Louie", "Bora Gora or Bust", "A Distant Shout of Thunder", and "Naka Jimi Kill"

I can't wait to see the "making of". Can you tell us more about what's in it?

Jason
(no login)

November 22 2009, 4:52 PM 

The Making of doc covers pretty much everything I was hoping for. Off the top of my head subjects covered included: The relationship to Raiders, filming the pilot in Hawaii, the pilot's amazing set, training Leo, why Ron Moody was only in the pilot, the chemistry of Jake and Sarah, Jeff Mackay, Roddy McDowell, Gushi, Faye Grant, why the show was not renewed, Donald P Bellissario, how many Gooses there were and how Stephen Collins was almost drowned by John Hillerman! I'm sure there's more too.

I have only listened to a few minutes of one of the commentaries so far but it sounds like they are worthwhile from the previous post. It may be just me, but they seemed to take a bit of hunting down on the discs but persevere as they are there.

Hoffballet
(no login)

Now have heard it all

December 14 2009, 11:37 PM 

I found that in Windows Player, you have an option to set your player to different regions, so I was able to actually watch the shows and bonuses. However, be careful, since I found too late that you only can do it a few times, and then never again. But I did see everything I wanted. You are right in that finding the commentaries is not easy. Best way is to select from OPTIONS the English 2 track, and it comes right up. Someone told me that they are aware of this problem, and will make it easier to access them in the American version.

But a quick YES! to the commentaries. Each is better than the last, and for a Monkey fan, it really is like a kid in a candy store. The things that the producer-writer Greene talks about are fascinating. What I really love is that he relates to the actual scenes and sometimes even lines that you are seeing right at the moment. So many commentaries go off on long pontifications, that have nothing to do with what you are watching, but this is really someone watching the show, and just pouring out with astonishing detail and information. Greene continues to show a natural talent for story telling as well, and its like hes right there with you, talking to you. I can see him in a chair next to you excitedly pointing his finger at the screen, and lending nose to the screen as he reveals incredible insight into the workings of Monkey. My son, who wants to be a write said he learned more from the commentaries about writing than he has in two years of college courses! These really should not only be played to Monkey fans, but to anyone interested both in the history of classic 1980s television, but for anyone who wants to know how a story and script are conceived, and structured. The old cliché every writer gets is: how do you come up with your ideas, and Greene tells us again and again how so many ideas, lines, situations, set-pieces, etc., were born. The truth behind how he came up with Distant Shout of Thunder is one of the great stories of TV, and the secret of the production values of the show are finally reviled. The volcano story with Bellisario is hysterical! For its emotional impact, I think my favorite is the Last Chance Louie commentary, and for white knuckle suspense, how he wrote Force of Habit in two days, is, as he says; a miracle, and a testament to his passion for the show, obvious talent, and professionalism. I also love that hes very self effacing, and very, very generous in giving credit to so many of the cast and crew. But you can see though after hearing all these commentaries, how much he brought to Monkey. You can only imagine how it would have continued to improve in season two! Im a sucker for bonus material on DVDs, and especially love commentaries. I tend to listen to them first (which Im told is not the way to do it!), and have logged in many hours of listening. And I can tell you from my own vast experience (for what its worth), that Greenes commentaries on Monkey are the best Ive ever heard. And thats not just because Im such a Monkey fan. For those overseas get this set now and enjoy, and for those in the States, it wont be long until you can enjoy them as well!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Visit the Tales of the Gold Monkey - Full Service Website.