Welcome to the New and Improved (Gold) Monkey House

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

GOLD MONKEY DVD IN AMERICA FOR REAL!

November 19 2009 at 10:19 PM
Hoffballet  (Login hoffballet)
from IP address 76.213.233.6

YES! IT'S OFFICIAL! We all know that Monkey is getting the royal treatment with a box set in England with a "making of", commentaries, and all shows in mint condition -- but by a total luck of fate, I ran into one of the producers of the Box set, and they said they had a meeting just last week (Week of Nov 5), at Universal Studios here, and Universal gave them the deal to transfer the full box set and release it here in America for our DVD players! Finally! This is real. It will be coming out in the US version in January 2010. That's only two months away (after waiting for almost 30 years!).

I also have a friend who was at the recording of one of the commentaries (they are done by writer-producer Tom Greene), and he played for me over the phone about twenty minutes of one from "Last Chance Louie". Amazing stuff! I was spellbound! And I hear he did five shows!

And I also heard the Making of Doc with Greene, Steve Collins, one of the directors, and Sara is just wonderful.

Can you stand it?????!!!!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
GoldmonkeyFan
(no login)

Re: GOLD MONKEY DVD IN AMERICA FOR REAL!

November 20 2009, 11:43 PM 

Are you sure it's January? Tvshowsondvd is reporting springtime 2010. As much as I wish it were Jan that sounds a little early.

Grant S
(no login)

December 1 2009, 8:47 PM 

Not to sound..ungrateful/spiteful or anything. But.

I am somewhat saddened that it took them so long, and until after Jeff Mackay died. He would have been a big boost to the DVD.

Anyway, I'm glad it's out for release. I got the DVD's from this site, but still gonna get the factories wink.gif

Evan
(no login)

December 2 2009, 12:33 AM 

I agree. A year sooner and we would have had all of Jeff Mackay's input on the episodes as well. Of course I'll buy the new set, but there is something really fun about having all the old voice-overs in the credits from the DVD set from this site. The "up next on T.J. Hooker..." stuff really brings me back to the 1980's.

Hoff Ballet
(Login hoffballet)

I've heard it all!

December 14 2009, 11:38 PM 

I found that in Windows Player, you have an option to set your player to different regions, so I was able to actually watch the shows and bonuses. However, be careful, since I found too late that you only can do it a few times, and then never again. But I did see everything I wanted. You are right in that finding the commentaries is not easy. Best way is to select from OPTIONS the English 2 track, and it comes right up. Someone told me that they are aware of this problem, and will make it easier to access them in the American version.

But a quick YES! to the commentaries. Each is better than the last, and for a Monkey fan, it really is like a kid in a candy store. The things that the producer-writer Greene talks about are fascinating. What I really love is that he relates to the actual scenes and sometimes even lines that you are seeing right at the moment. So many commentaries go off on long pontifications, that have nothing to do with what you are watching, but this is really someone watching the show, and just pouring out with astonishing detail and information. Greene continues to show a natural talent for story telling as well, and its like hes right there with you, talking to you. I can see him in a chair next to you excitedly pointing his finger at the screen, and lending nose to the screen as he reveals incredible insight into the workings of Monkey. My son, who wants to be a write said he learned more from the commentaries about writing than he has in two years of college courses! These really should not only be played to Monkey fans, but to anyone interested both in the history of classic 1980s television, but for anyone who wants to know how a story and script are conceived, and structured. The old cliché every writer gets is: how do you come up with your ideas, and Greene tells us again and again how so many ideas, lines, situations, set-pieces, etc., were born. The truth behind how he came up with Distant Shout of Thunder is one of the great stories of TV, and the secret of the production values of the show are finally reviled. The volcano story with Bellisario is hysterical! For its emotional impact, I think my favorite is the Last Chance Louie commentary, and for white knuckle suspense, how he wrote Force of Habit in two days, is, as he says; a miracle, and a testament to his passion for the show, obvious talent, and professionalism. I also love that hes very self effacing, and very, very generous in giving credit to so many of the cast and crew. But you can see though after hearing all these commentaries, how much he brought to Monkey. You can only imagine how it would have continued to improve in season two! Im a sucker for bonus material on DVDs, and especially love commentaries. I tend to listen to them first (which Im told is not the way to do it!), and have logged in many hours of listening. And I can tell you from my own vast experience (for what its worth), that Greenes commentaries on Monkey are the best Ive ever heard. And thats not just because Im such a Monkey fan. For those overseas get this set now and enjoy, and for those in the States, it wont be long until you can enjoy them as well!

Evan
(no login)

December 18 2009, 2:15 PM 

That is awesome! Thanks for the review.

Sean
(no login)

January 12 2010, 3:40 PM 

Anyone have an update on this? I'm starting to think we can safely rule out the January thing.

GoldmonkeyFan
(no login)

Coming June 8 to the US

February 18 2010, 9:18 PM 

Kelly
(Login sarahcutter)

February 21 2010, 1:53 AM 

I'm so excited. I was trying to clean up and organize my wish list over at Amazon and thought the "pre-order" button was a mistake. Very happy to discover it was not.

Knew this site would have all the info. Thanks!!!

Kelly
http://www.sarahcutter.com

Kelly
(Login sarahcutter)

February 21 2010, 2:08 AM 

Does anyone know for sure if the US version will have all of the extras the region 2/4 version has?

Amazon UK lists the running time as 1056 minutes, but the Amazon US site has only 990 minutes listed. Both list 6 discs. Having waited so long for the DVD release in the first place, I was going to pre-order the US/region 1 version because overseas shipping is usually a lot, but if it won't have the special features than I will order the region 2 version from England or maybe the region 4 version from Australia (since believe it or not the shipping is usually cheaper from there - LOL).

Kelly

GoldmonkeyFan
(no login)

February 21 2010, 8:47 AM 

According to tvshowsondvd Fabulous Films says the bonus material SHOULD be the same. So it looks like it will be, but it's not quite official yet. Interestingly, the article also says the set will be distributed by Shout! Factory (although apprently still produced by Fabulous Filsm). Here is the link to the article:http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tales-Gold-Monkey-The-Complete-Series/13361

GoldmonkeyFan
(no login)

February 23 2010, 9:31 PM 

Extras confirmed to be the same on the region 1 release as the region 2/4 release: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tales-Gold-Monkey-Press-Release/13378

Sean
(no login)

February 24 2010, 10:21 AM 

I guess I'll be pre-ordering mine on Friday when I get paid. Wow, June seems so far away now.

Kelly
(Login sarahcutter)

February 24 2010, 9:01 PM 

That's great news. I am pre-ordering it now.

I still think it is odd about the running time though. Wonder which one is correct.

Kelly

Evan
(no login)

DVD release

February 25 2010, 7:45 PM 

I am so excited my head might explode

GoldmonkeyFan
(no login)

February 26 2010, 1:03 PM 

I know, I am counting down the days until June 8. I have mine pre-ordered. I can't wait!!!!

Anonymous
(Login sarahcutter)

June 10 2010, 2:14 PM 

Got my DVDs in the mail today. So excited!

Kelly

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Visit the Tales of the Gold Monkey - Full Service Website.