Denali Update Thread for the "Tom Tom" Club

Denali Update Thread for the "Tom Tom" Club

May 04, 2009#1

This is a topic that will stick at the top of the message board until the guys return from Alaska. Please look for/post all updates here.

May 05, 2009#2

Tom (not Bro or Tommy):
      I didn't see a helmet on your list:http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/2009_denali_log2.htm

John:
      You might want to pack a fresh set of clothes in your cache. You'll probably get a little ripe after 3 weeks in the same outfit.

Good luck! Be safe.

-George

May 05, 2009#3

Denali -The Great One

I wish you much success and safety. Here is a gift for you all, this cheat sheet might come in handy.

WESTERN Eskimo:

I am hungry........................... Kish-tu-ah (the i long, as in mice)
        Our food is all gone..........................Neck-out-voot nahng-ock
        Water..............................................Meck (fresh); Mahk (salt)
        I am thirsty.......................................Meck-soosh-too-ah
        Give me a drink of tea.......................Shy-oo-mick merry-sing-a
        I am cold..........................................Crow-too-ah
        My boots are wet..............................Comic-sig-kah maht-soong-uk
        My clothing is wet.............................Aht-koo-kah maht-soong-uk
        Bring a dog sled.............................Ick-calm-erak ahk-fah-loo-kick
        Yes...................................................Ahng
        No.....................................................Khang-ah
        Look! (at my frostbitten wrist, etc.).....Tahng
        I don't understand...............................Ah-yo-koo-chett-oo-a
        I need food...................................Neck-a-mick pee-yoosh-tu-ah
        Bring men (to help)............................ Ahng-oh-tit tide-loo-kay
        How far is it to the trading post? Kite-loon yock-shig-ta kip-oosy-vig-a-moon
        Matches; fire.......................................Spitz-cot; Keen-o-gak
        Native stove (seal-oil lamp)..................Kah-minny-ock; Keen-o-gak
        Come quickly!.....................................Pah-tah-gah-mick tight-ah
        Gun.....................................................Noo-tick
        To the right! (dog driver's term)............Jee!
        To the left! (dog driver's term)..............Haw!
        Which way?.........................................Nah-goon?
        Tobacco........................................To-bak-u-mick; Chew-yah-mik
        Where is there a white man?.................Nah-ne Kah-sah tahng-tah

Kindest Regards

Steve W

May 05, 2009#4

Tom (not Bro or Tommy):
          I didn't see a helmet on your list:http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/2009_denali_log2.htm

John:
          You might want to pack a fresh set of clothes in your cache. You'll probably get a little ripe after 3 weeks in the same outfit.

Good luck! Be safe.

-George
          I'm not taking a helmet. Too much weight to add anything more to the pack.

Julie
          Julie

May 10, 2009#5

This is a topic that will stick at the top of the message board until the guys return from Alaska. Please look for/post all updates here.
            The guys made it to Talkeetna yesterday and had the bunkhouse to themselves. They ended up having to unpack all of their gear for the plane trip to the glacier (the sleds were so nicely packed, too bad), which John said was a major pain in the butt (more than he had anticipated). This morning they had only their sleeping bags, no food (restaurants closed), and were playing the waiting game to depart. John said there were 40 climbers due to arrive tomorrow, so they were anxious to get ahead of that situation. He said the seeing the size of the mountain in the distance was amazing (they thought it was clouds at first). I think all of them are experiencing a bit of anticipatory fatigue and adjusting to time change and twilight (sun was up at 4:00am, never really dark). I hope to hear from John in the next couple of days, they think cell service will work for awhile. He gets kudos for remembering Mother's Day.

John "Beckbird" Beckman
            John "Beckbird" Beckman

May 10, 2009#6

Julie,
              Thanks for the report. I have been thinking of them all day. I am overhauling the back yard. I sent an email to you and Jasmine at John's address.
              Beckbird

May 11, 2009#7

Thanks John, good luck on your landscape project. John's email is just that, his email. His computer is on sabbatical in his absence so in order to reach me, please use the email attached to this board. Hopefully more news soon!

May 11, 2009#8

I received this info from John's dad, who has a lot of time on his hands and of course is very proud to have two of his sons making this climb.

He wrote...

"I notice that there are 60-80 mph winds forecast above
                  17,000 ft through Wed.

http://pafg.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php\?w ... ype=public
                  for forecasts on the mountain.

This is too much wind up high to climb
                  so very few have reached the summit. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/c ... istics.htm

There are a 185 climbers on the mountain but only 8 have summited so
                  far. My guess is the "mob" is at 14,000 waiting for the wind to die
                  down a bit."

My thoughts- I'm sure the number of climbers all leaving with the first break in the weather will concern John.

Laurie
                  Laurie

May 12, 2009#9

I appreciate the link to the NWS on McKinley.
                    Looks to be consistent High Winds (>55 mph) above 14k' until Wednesday. Temps from 5 F to 15 below. I agree the number of people on the mountain - now over 200 - all wanting that peak all waiting on a break in the weather is a concern.
                    This is good solid group of climbers our hearts are with them.

Dave
                    Dave

May 13, 2009#10

Anyone care to wager on whether they rest today or climb Kahiltna Dome?

Read more posts (35 remaining)